America’s War on Terrorism

terrorists in syria

The war drums continue to beat as the United State prepares to attack Syria.  It is highly unlikely that the actions that the American war machine has set into motion can be turned back.  Regardless of whether we have International support for waging war against Syria, the United States is determined to use war to topple the Assad regime.  If there is one thing that the United States does well it is regime change.  All we have to do is look at Iraq and Afghanistan to see how well we play the regime change game. (A game we have played my entire life)

It is estimated that one hundred thousand people have been killed during Syria’s civil war. Up to this point, the United States has sat back and done nothing.  But now, an imaginary red line has been crossed, chemical weapons have been used, and President Obama and the hawks on Capitol Hill think the United States must intervene in Syria. We are being told it is the moral thing to do.

The moral thing to do? Do our leaders ever stop and listen to themselves talk?  There is nothing moral about war. Whether we put boots on the ground or pummel Syria with Tomahawk missiles, there will be widespread carnage and death. Innocents will be killed and there is nothing moral about what military leaders call “collateral damage.”  It is likely any bombing of Syria will result in more casualties than the chemical attack caused.  President Obama speaks of proportion…yet he fails to consider that the results of our attack on Syria will be disproportionate when compared to the number of people killed by the chemical attack.

Our leaders tell us we are fighting terrorism wherever it may be found. We are fighting Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and Iraq, yet in Syria, the rebels fighting the Assad regime are being supported by groups of Al Qaeda fighters.  Simply put, we are supporting in Syria the very people we are trying to kill in Afghanistan and Iraq.

NBC News reports:

As debate grows over the extremism of some armed factions battling to overthrow Syrian President Bashar Assad’s regime, an incendiary illustration on the Facebook page of one such group leaves little doubt where its leaders envision the uprising ending – with masked Islamic fighters marching through Washington, D.C., as the U.S. Capitol burns in the background.

The image is one of eight photos posted on the official Facebook page of the “Al-Aqsa Islamic Brigades,” (link is dead)  a small armed Sunni rebel faction fighting with the Free Syrian Army, the main umbrella military organization of the opposition forces. Two other photos posted on the group’s page feature the widely recognized black flag of the al Qaeda in Iraq terrorist group, which operates freely in Syria.

Evan Kohlmann, a senior partner with the security firm Flashpoint Intelligence and an NBC consultant on terrorism, who discovered the image on Facebook and provided it to NBC News’ investigative unit, said Al-Aqsa has not been designated as a terrorist group by the United States. But he noted that it fights alongside another Free Syrian Army force, the Tawhid Brigade, that has been linked to Jabhat al-Nusra, one of two rebel factions labeled terrorist groups by the U.S. government.

“As a group that claims affiliation to the generally pro-Western Free Syrian Army, it is difficult to reconcile the fact that it has plastered such a lurid anti-American image as the banner on its own official Facebook page,” Kohlmann said. “It raises the unfortunate but inescapable fact that not every group within the Free Syrian Army is closely aligned with U.S. interests in the region.”

Such murky alliances and rivalries within the Free Syrian Army help explain the skepticism that greeted U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday when he told members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee that “bad guys” – Islamic extremists – constitute “maybe 15 to 25 percent” of the opposition forces…

Such irony, but then we shouldn’t be surprised. Thirty plus years ago we said nothing, and perhaps even helped, Iraq when it used chemical weapons against Iran. The United States itself used chemical weapons against the North Vietnamese during the Vietnam War.  We continue to hold a large cache of chemical weapons. Yet, we are a moral people, or so we try to tell ourselves.

The United States is a nation built not only on the blood of its citizens but also on the blood of countless civilians and combatants across the globe. Since the Revolutionary War, we have waged war across the globe. We have bloody hands if anyone dares to check, but we can’t be bothered to look at our hands because our show will be on TV soon.  The American people willingly choose to turn a blind eye when it comes to the immoral acts done in their name.  We have the luxury of doing this because we have never fought a foreign power on our own soil.  Better to fight them over there rather than fight them here. After all, the shop ‘til you drop season is coming, and we Americans can’t be bothered with carnage and death in Syria, Iraq, or Afghanistan. Just git er done but don’t bother us with the details.

The United States continues to expand its presence throughout the globe. We have some sort of military or CIA presence in most of the countries of the world. We are busy expanding our military footprint in Africa, and here at home the various security agencies are routinely spying on the American people.  Whistleblowers that dare expose these things are considered traitors. Yet, it seems that the American people are oblivious to what is being done in their name here at home and in most countries in the world.

There is nothing moral about the actions of the United States. We are not a good, peace-loving people. We are consumers that live what is called the American Way of Life and we are quite willing to let the government kill people so we can maintain this way of life. Our thirst for oil will continue to drive the American war machine, and we should expect more war as oil becomes scarcer.

Thomas Merton taught me years ago that war never brings peace. It may bring a cessation of hostilities for a time, but war begets war, and until we realize this we will continue to wage murderous violent wars like the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and soon to be Syria. Fifty years ago, Thomas Merton said we were at the precipice of nuclear war and that every day such a war does not happens brings us one day closer to when it will. Merton was quite pessimistic about the prospect of peace and nothing in the years since his death has shown that the United States is interested in peace. We are a warring, bloody nation, drunk on power, and like the Roman civilization, it will be our arrogance and hubris that will someday bring us to our knees.

Attacking Syria is a mistake that will only bring carnage, death, and upheaval. As President Obama and John Kerry, like President Bush, Dick Cheney, and Donald Rumsfeld before them, try to spin the “facts” on why the United States MUST wage war against Syria, I want them to know I no longer think they are capable of telling the American people the truth. Whatever action we take will not be about the Syrian people. It will be, just like it always is, all about us. There is something in Syria our government wants, and we are willing to kill to get it. Is there any other way to understand this? We stood idly by while civil war slaughtered people in Rwanda and Sudan. Evidently, they had nothing we needed.

These days, I am grateful that I live in the United States. However, I have long since stopped being a proud American.

Please read Dennis Kucinich’s Top 10 Unproven Claims for War Against Syria

1. theObserver

“The most extravagant idea that can be born in the head of a political thinker is to believe that it suffices for people to enter, weapons in hand, among a foreign people and expect to have its laws and constitution embraced. No one loves armed missionaries; the first lesson of nature and prudence is to repulse them as enemies.” – Maximilien Robespierre

I couldn’t believe it when I heard Obama was going down this route after the debacle that was Iraq. There are no good guys and bad guys in Syria. On one hand you have a brutal dictator; on the other you have Islamic fundamentalists who will impose a repressive and illiberal Islamic state. The real losers are the men and women who just want to live their lives, earn a honest wage and raise their families. Nothing good will come from military intervention.

What is the difference between killing with chemical weapons and multi-million dollar bombs anyway?

Yeah, that is the one thing I don’t understand…this differentiation between how people are killed. Dead is dead.

2. Zoe Bloomer

Amen. :-(

What has been the opinion up your way on this issue? I haven’t seen anything in the news about how the Canadian government is viewing the “Syria” problem. Way too many news sources here seem to be nothing more than shills for the Federal Government. No questioning of the official story line. Quite depressing.

3. Ami

Saw on facebook.. a photo of Obama. “As I plunge us into WW3, I want you to remember two things. It’s Bush’s fault and you’re a racist.”

I’m just sick over it. I thought he was a shitty president the first round, could not believe he was elected again. Although I don’t believe people’s voting actually makes a difference, because we wouldn’t be allowed to vote if it did.

The shit is about to hit the fan.

Yeah…I am no George Bush fan but Obama is almost six years beyond the Bush era. Time to stop blaming Bush.

4. Paula

With the memory of the naked Vietnamese girl whose clothes were burned off by napalm forever etched in my memory, I’m wondering just exactly why the government thinks the US has any moral authority to attack other people for using chemical weapons. Plus, there was agent orange that ruined the health of many on both sides.

If we as a nation are opposed to chemical weapons, what was all that crap stored at the Pine Bluff Arsenal for?

Even today, we are using depleted uranium shells which are leaving radioactive footprint wherever we use them. Quite honestly, we are moralizing hypocrites when it comes to chemical weapons.

5. Zoe

Here’s a start at some of our programming re: Syria.

Last I heard via the media, our Prime Minister supports U.S. military action but we wouldn’t be involved. (I tend to believe that behind the scenes we do provide technical assistance and therefore are involved, just behind the scenes. I can’t tolerate watching this tuff on CNN because I’m almost certain Obama will do whatever the hell he wants to do and congress be damned. I hope congress votes “no.”

Also the CBC (not the American CBS) t.v. and radio covers programming on Syria all the time. From what I can understand being a simple old lady in her bluejeans watching the world go round and round, Canadians don’t want war. Economically whether we are involved or not it’s devastating all the way around. They also don’t like Syrian or any other citizens being exterminated. What I often miss in the rhetoric over the crisis/civil war is that it is a civil war. It’s a geo-political, sectarian battle. I don’t trust the rebels are innocent in this. The innocents are innocent but how do we determine the internal agenda of the rebels. Do we arm them, take down the regime and create a whole other supposedly pseudo-quasi democratic state that in a matter of time will also turn on it’s own citizens and the region.

Our parliament is prorogued right now so there is not discussion going on in parliament. Lots of t.v. and radio programming on it but no in-house squabbling because as I say our parliamentarians aren’t back to work yet.

I typed this in your comment section on what seems to be your mobile template. I get it come up a lot though I don’t know why. Hope it works.

It worked. :) Thank you for sharing this. Way too many Americans think Canada is just the northern franchise of the United States.

6. Zoe Bloomer

Bruce, one more link with more Canadian reporting on CBC news for your information.

Thanks, Zoe.

7. Erin

I HATE the political posturing over war, I HATE that it is about the “great American democratic government” vs. “terrorists”, and I HATE war. But, I wonder, is there a point where we should come to the aid of people if we are able? Obviously we should provide aid in the sense of basic needs, but I mean working to free them from a government that terrorizes them. Yes, it likely means more civilian deaths…but if we can stop the problem in the long-term….I really struggle with this question. I don’t believe in the forceful spread of so-called democracy, but shouldn’t we consider brutality as something that should be stopped? This is such a hard question for me. I’d love to hear some (kind and gentle) input.

I am all for stopping brutality. The problem is that we have been, throughout our history, quite brutal ourselves. I don’t think we have any moral standing in the world.

What is the best way to end the bloodshed in Syria? Will us bombing Syria stop the bloodshed? The only way to stop it is to put an international military force on the ground. We can not do this unilaterally. The world does not trust the United States, so we need to act in unison with the rest of the international community.

Every death is tragic but killing more people is not the answer. Over 2 million people have fled Syria. I can only imagine the humanitarian crisis we will create if we start raining bombs down on the heads of the Syrian people.

I also have not seen definitive proof that Assad is behind the chemical attack. Charlie Rose will have an interview with Assad tonight on PBS. It will be interesting to see what he says.

There are no easy answers. The United States should do ALL it can to lessen the suffering, carnage, and death in Syria. (And in our own country ) The debate is over how best to achieve this.

1. Erin

I think your last paragraph is the hardest part. We can’t sit back and watch, but there are no other good options, either. And then, like you said, shouldn’t we focus on the suffering right here at home? I just struggle so much to see what’s going on in places like Syria and wonder what can we do? Ugh. I hate that our politicians use it as an excuse to gain votes or to seem like the rescuer or whatever other ways they use it for their own profit.