How Christians Turned a Blog Comment Into a Personal Attack

false

I left a comment on the Defending Contending blog. One of the writers for this blog has participated in a few discussions here. Nice guy. We disagree on most everything, but nice guy nonetheless.

Another writer, Bill, wrote an article about some street preachers being arrested. In the article he stated:

I discussed this with a couple atheists in the comments on this YouTube video. They are biased against anyone preaching about the Bible of course; they also believe these preachers broke the law. They say they support freedom of speech, but they don’t seem to understand that the whole point of the First Amendment is to protect speech you may find offensive or annoying.

I left the follow innocuous, supportive, non-offensive, non-argumentative comment:

Well, I am an atheist who supports the right for idiots to stand on public property and preach. This is America and the freest real estate in America is public property.

I preached on the streets for many years. I was threatened with arrest dozens of times. I have been harassed by police more times than I can count. I stood my ground because the first amendment matters…for Christians and atheists.

This means having to put up with people and speech I find offensive.

To which Jim, using the Flee Babylon moniker, replied:

“Well! I am an atheist who supports the right for idiots to stand on public property and preach.”

Bruce – There are many problems with your alleged testimony. Let me ask you a question. Were you truly born again (met Christ not in word but in reality and power) and now turned away from him or did you have a mental belief in Christ, earn a living from it, and now your mental belief is changed?

Kindly, Jim

As you know, I have no patience for this line of interrogation. I have written about it numerous times. I replied to Jim:

Normally Jim I would use a few choice words to tell you want I think of your comment but I will respect the fact this is not my house,

Your use of the word alleged is offensive. It is my life, my story, my testimony and you don’t get to frame the storyline. I was every bit a Christian that you now are. I don’t care if that squares with your theology. It matters not to me whether or not you think or know I was never a Christian. I know. I give you this challenge…. Find one person who knew me as their pastor or a fellow colleague in the ministry who thought, at the time, I was not a Christian. Either I was deluded and an expert at deceiving people or your theological premise fails when applied to real life.

That said, what the **** does this have to do with the point of the post? I won’t discuss this further with you. Come over to my house and we can discuss it there.

And let the pile on begin…

Todd 3588 writes:

What’s an atheist?

Jon Gleason writes:

1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Linda MacDonald writes:

Bruce Gerencser, GOD says you were never his and you nor I get to “frame the storyline” HE DOES. There’s no such thing as being A Christian and then no longer being one.

Jesus after talking about people who did great things in his name says-”Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ -”Mat 7:23

“I NEVER KNEW YOU” means never.

A person does not become born again of the spirit of God and become unborn. God’s word clearly says- “No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.”-1 John 3:9.

a person leaving and becoming a staunch atheist is evidence that you were one of the first 3 soils but never the 4th soil-good soil.

Satan has mental assent just like many people have but never a full commitment from your heart where GOD reaches down to YOU and saves you. It is God who reaches down to us not us reaching up to him.

No human decision saves anyone-John 1:13 only when we are born of God from above.

And  finally Jim chimed in, giving me his email and telling me what a wonderful guy he is:

“I was every bit a Christian that you now are”

That is my point, I could never say “I used to be married but now I dont believe that my wife ever exsited”. Such a statement would mean either:

A) I only imagined I was married, however popwerful that imagination was (like I bought a second car to keep in the drive way, drew a picture of what I thought my wife might look like, etc)

B) I was married and am now so angry or hurt that I deny my estranged wife even existed

Either you were a false convert all along or you are an apostate and walked away from truly knowing Christ. This has nothing to do with theoolgy, just reality. I am not impressed with what people thought of you as a pastor either – modern church people are the easiest to trick into believing anything. If there is one thing I applaud it is you leaving the professional clergy that scripture knows nothing of. Maybe you will find Christ in the wilderness if you have never truly met Him. If not, I pray you find healing from what ever pain the religious beast system caused to you.

Please do not be angry at me and treat me as someone who deserves a few choice words. I would actually meet up with you if you lived near Detroit? My email is repent_trust@yahoo.com

Jim

I know there is no hope of reasoning with people like this. They believe they have a supernatural relationship with Jesus and the Bible is the blinders they wear as they trample everyone who doesn’t think EXACTLY like they do.

I wanted you to see how a comment of SUPPORT on a Christian blog turned into a personal attack. An attack, I might add that says far more about them, their insecurities, and their religion, than it does me.

repost, revised

1. Becky Rogers Wiren

When I read those comments Bruce, all I thought was I am glad I no longer need to call myself “Christian.” Because those are the people who make Christianity look so bad, so very horrible. Unloving, unaccepting, judgmental, mean-spirited…they have no desire to show their god’s love. (I deliberately did NOT capitalize because I decided the god they worship is false. If they supposedly love Jesus they are only doing harm and acting against the way Jesus wanted us to live.)

As you know, for people like these folks, it is all about being right. Love and kindness are secondary. The problem for me is that I can let them get under my skin and I can become quite temperamental. This is why when I started blogging again I made up my mind that I am not going to get into long debates/arguments with Evangelicals. I will answer their questions and might trade a few comments with them, but that’s it.

2. exrelayman

Well, you know this is almost like ‘old’ Bruce confronting ‘young’ Bruce. Not gonna be any winners there, is there? Your message of support did contain the words idiot and nonsense. It is hard to be perfectly non-inflammatory.

When someone ‘knows’, good luck reasoning with them. (Shades of Becky) Besides, they got proof texts and you don’t. Nyah, nyah, nyah :-)

Great observation. :)

As you know, people like us have the advantage. We were once where they are now, so we know all the arguments, verses, etc. I know it sounds arrogant, but I will sometimes tell them, what are you going to tell me I haven’t heard before? Christianity, the Bible are static and dead. No new information or arguments. When is the last time any new information about Bible or Christianity has been discovered? The same stuff, centuries old, is endlessly rehashed. So, for me, it is easy to say, been there, done that.

3. Kerry

Been there done that!

4. Van

I think if you had called them people instead of idiots in your first line they might not have gotten their BP up.

Yeah, that was the only negative in my comment. My point was that I support free speech rights for everyone, even the idiots. :)

5. John Arthur

Hi Bruce,

” I know there is no hope of reasoning with people like this. They believe they have a supernatural relationship with Jesus and the Bible is the blinders they wear as they trample everyone who doesn’t think EXACTLY as they do.”

Yes. They seem incapable of recognizing that everyone comes to the bible with a pre-understanding derived from the culture, their upbringing, the churches they attend and the kind of theological books that they read. They seem unable or unwillingly to recognize their own pre-suppositions and tend to identify them with what the bible teaches.

They think their interpretation of the bible is what God is saying and anyone who disagrees with them is disagreeing with what God has said. In their endeavour to get ‘THE TRUTH” (i.e. their interpretation of the bible) out at any cost, they are prepared to trample on others who disagree with them. This doesn’t promote any kind of compassionate Christianity, but they don’t seem to care,

Some of them are incapable of reasoning theologically. Linda MacDonald quotes reams of bible verses together from all over the bible without any analysis She seems to be under the delusion that biblical texts, in isolation from their contexts, are words from God and this is hardly consistent with the best hermeneutics of the kind of Evangelicalism which she espouses.

To turn your support into a personal attack says something about them and they way they relate to people that differ. They fail to treat them with dignity and respect as fellow human beings. They seem to be blind to the possibility that no God might exist and that they could be wrong. They don’t seem to have much humility.

Thanks for re-posting this, Bruce.

Shalom,
    John Arthur

I know you tried to help with the discussion and I appreciate you doing so. I see they stopped responding to you. Nice to get the last word in. :)

6. Mika'il

Bruce, these guys are acting like typical calvinists. It’s not surprising. This guy is right about one thing, though. The bible knows nothing of a professional clergy system. For years, I would hear pastors blabber about how Biblical their position is…..when really there is no mention of a professional clergy system in the new testament. The pastor of the last traditional church in which I was involved before I left the faith did his best to read into the bible his own interpretation that promoted the clergy system, but it was obvious that he was committing eisegesis.

Anyway, my main point is that contrary to what most people in the pulpit say, the clergy system isn’t Biblical. There’s only one mention of “pastor” in the New Testament…and it doesn’t refer to the clergy system.

Although I’m obviously not a Christian in any sense any more, many theologically conservative Christians agree with me about the clergy system not being Biblical.

All that said, I’m sorry those guys acted like assholes to you. :-(

I agree with you on the clergy system. I don’t think the church and its clergy resembles in any way the church and its leaders as found in the Bible.

7. Andrew Hackman

So, so, so typical… I get a headache just reading that stuff….

8. NeverAgainV

eeewwww Detroit!! shudder….bad bad memories!!

Bruce, I’m sorry those people have nothing better to do than to judge you.
    I’m sure many calvinists look down on others because they have convinced themselves THEY have the truth & no others. The rest of christendom aren’t even “true believers” to them! So everyone, other christians included are wrong, sinful or following the false jesus… cept them of course!

Ha! You are right, we have heard it all before. Definitely been there, done that!

It’s great to be free from that narrow minded way of thinking! Yaay for us!

Hang in there & don’t let it get you down. You know how those people can be…there is no reasoning with the fundys.

9. Jada

” and you nor I get to “frame the storyline” HE DOES.”

Well, Linda MacDonald, your GOD doesn’t seem to be framing anything, as he’s been silent lo these many years. So, it is indeed you and your ilk “framing the storyline.” You have to, because your GOD is nowhere to be found in speaking for you.