Do it for the Kids, says Ken Ham

fossils cartoon

If you read my recent post on Ken Ham’s latest project, the Ark Encounter, you know that Ham is having money problems and is facing a declining paid attendance at the Creation Museum.

Ken Ham has cooked up a new way to increase the gross number of people coming through the turnstiles at the Creation Museum. This coming year, all children under the age of thirteen will be admitted free of charge:

As part of our 2013–2014 theme “Standing Our Ground—Rescuing Our Kids” (Galatians 1:4), we have decided to do something very special to help teach children the truth concerning the Bible:For the entire coming year, January 1 through December 31, 2014, we are going to allow all kids who are 12 years old and under to come to the Creation Museum free of charge!The only stipulation is that the children must be accompanied by at least one paying adult. (Kids have to be accompanied by an adult anyway in the museum.) I’m sure you are as excited as we are about this wonderful new outreach.

I want to encourage adults to round up as many kids as they can and bring them to the Creation Museum in 2014. One idea would be that your family could offer to pay for an adult friend’s admission and have that person bring their kids (and even their kids’ friends) for free as a way of witnessing to them—or encouraging them in the Christian faith if they are believers. I’m sure each of us can come up with all sorts of similar ideas to reach children. Let’s make 2014 the “year of the kids” at the Creation Museum!

Now Ham knows this will NOT increase the amount of income for the Creation Museum, so he is using the time-honored, guilt inducing tactic, DO IT FOR THE KIDS, to get people to give money to the Creation Museum:

Our calculations have shown that income from paid children’s tickets for ages 6–12 this past year brought in around $225,000. So, to allow all children 12 and under to visit free is going to significantly impact our bottom line for the Creation Museum.

But I believe it’s imperative that we help parents and other adults to bring as many children as possible to the Bible-proclaiming and evangelistic Creation Museum. You are aware that the Bible-upholding information that AiG makes available through the museum and our other outreaches is by and large censored from the culture. The secularists don’t want children to hear the life-changing information we present. They know it will cause many of them to look seriously at God’s Word and listen to the saving message of the gospel.

The god of this world is doing all he can to capture your children! With God’s help and your support, we need to rescue them! We are burdened to see all these dear children’s hearts captured for the Lord Jesus Christ—the Creator God and the God of salvation.

Now, this is where I need your help for this great outreach to our younger generation. As we have taken this big step of faith, we are sharing this incredible museum opportunity with you as together we can help reach children through the Creation Museum. I am asking you to prayerfully consider a generous year-end gift to help AiG and allow us to offer all these children to visit the Creation Museum at no charge.

The most interesting thing about this is not Ham using kids to extract money from people. Companies, advertisers, and churches do this all the time. Kids are a sure way to get to an adults wallet and Ham knows this. What I found most interesting is how Ham marketed this on his website compared to how he marketed it on his Facebook page.

On the website, Ham wrote:

Because of my intense burden to reach this generation and the next ones with the truth of God’s Word and the gospel, we have just made a big decision at the Creation Museum. I think it will thrill you.

But on his Facebook page, which is frequented by devoted, full of the Holy Ghost creationists, Ham wrote:

Because the atheists are so aggressive in trying to capture your kids minds for the evil one, we wanted to be aggressive in helping you reach as many kids as possible with the truth of God’s Word and the gospel.

So, for the whole of 2014, all kids 12 and under will have FREE admission to the Creation Museum. Bring as many kids as you can (kids must be accompanied by an adult). Let’s reach the coming generation of kids with the truth of the creation gospel message.

Do you see the difference? When it comes to stirring up the zealots on his Facebook page, he is quick to use the, atheists are out to get your kids, scare tactic.  I suspect we atheists are good for Ham’s fund raising.  Except for one, little detail.. I suspect a large number of the children who come through the turnstiles of the Creation Museum are homeschooled or attend a private Christian school. Unless there are members of the Clergy Project teaching these children, they are pretty much immune from having their intellect snatched by atheist brain snatchers.

According to Ham, the Creation Museum took in about $225,000.00 in child ticket income. A child ticket costs $15.95. (ages five through twelve) This means that roughly 14,000 children attended the Creation Museum last year. That’s it.  There are roughly 25,000,000 children ages six through eleven in the United StatesThis means that .056% of children ages six through eleven in the United States paid for a ticket at the Creation Museum last year. Keep in mind that the number is probably even worse than this since the child tickets number is for ages five though twelve and the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics number is for ages six through eleven.

Ham can say what he wants… but these numbers don’t lie.

1. Alice

A child ticket costs $15.95.

That seems pretty steep. What’s an adult ticket?

29.95 and 7.95 more if you want to see the planetarium.

1. Alice

Man, that it a lot of cash. I would rather have a nice dinner:)

me too.

2. IFBfree
  3. 1415dr

“The god of this world is doing all he can to capture your children!”

Gosh. Imagine living your life in fear that a sadistic, invisible monster is stalking your children hoping to get them tortured for eternity. Why would Ken Ham’s god possibly allow something like this to happen? It’s boogeyman stuff.

4. gimpi

I can only hope that this means that the whole “Answers in Genesis” mess is tumbling down. Deliberately teaching kids lies shouldn’t, in my opinion, be covered under the First Amendment. Any organization representing itself as scientific – and not teaching real, scientific facts, but instead offering mythology – should be charged with fraud. Mr. Ham should be wearing a number and serving time for misrepresentation.

1. John Arthur

Hi Gimpi,

“Any organization representing itself as scientific – and not teaching real, scientific facts, should be charged with fraud”.

I say a hearty amen to that! Ian Plimer, formerly professor of geology at the University of Melbourne over here in Australia, once wrote a book called “Telling Lies for God” and he outlines, in that book, the various lies that that YEC’s tell in the name of God.

Any Christian, or non Christian, who is truly interested in science should reject Ham and his views. He is brainwashing or trying to brainwash children with his falsehoods all in the name of his infallible (?????????????????) book.

I agree. He should be jailed for fraud.

Shalom,
      John Arthur

1. gimpi

Hi John,
        My husband is a geologist, so perhaps that’s why I feel so strongly about Mr. Ham and his nonsense. I still get shivers remembering our first talk about “deep time.” The facts are so awe-inspiring, and lying about them is just pathetic.

For anyone, in the face of overwhelming evidence, to claim the earth is around 6,000 years old is lunacy. I’ve thrown continental drift, plate-tectonics, index-fossils, C-14 dating, the Siberian Traps, the Colombia Flood Basalts, and pretty much the kitchen sink at these folks, mostly to no avail. It makes me weep.

5. grasshopper

“Do it for the kids.”

If the Ark ever gets off the ground, the kids may come away wondering why God wants His creatures to be mistreated.

Quoting from Charismatic Minifauna

“Very specific, science-based guidelines on how to house captive animals exist. The Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), an international body of scientists and experts in animal care, has published their AZA Accreditation standards for 2014 (92 page PDF). AZA Accreditation is the gold standard for zoos; it’s not something all zoos can achieve. However, most reputable zoos do try to incorporate AZA Standards where and when they can. For many captive animal species there are very clear exhibit design guidelines about shelter, water, space, and behavioral enrichment.

As an example, let’s look at a skunk or a weasel, a likely small mammal candidate species for the Ark. The AZA Mustelid Handbook suggests 29 square meters (34.7 square yards) as a minimum exhibit size.Very specific, science-based guidelines on how to house captive animals exist. The Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), an international body of scientists and experts in animal care, has published their AZA Accreditation standards for 2014 (92 page PDF). AZA Accreditation is the gold standard for zoos; it’s not something all zoos can achieve. However, most reputable zoos do try to incorporate AZA Standards where and when they can. For many captive animal species there are very clear exhibit design guidelines about shelter, water, space, and behavioral enrichment.”

1. Obiron

Wouldn’t this fall into abuse for the poor animals crowded into such a small space (as a reproduction ark would have to be?) I would think that such a display would show how impossible the ark is. Of course, the Christian answer is “It was a miracle”, but I find this entire project reprehensible on a number of levels.

Thank you for sharing this. I have never thought about the ark/zoo in this way before.

6. 1415dr

Wow. I never thought about that before. Then again, I’m not building a freaking zoo, so I haven’t had to think of it. Somehow I doubt this factored into Ken Ham’s calculations either.

7. something made up

Ham must have a pretty poor view of the sovereignty of God in salvation if he thinks he is going to save children through his fuzzy science…… You cant have it both ways Kenny

I think what is he really trying to save is his own kingdom. Twenty years from now, I suspect Ke nHam Enterprises will be owned by a theme park company or a megachurch. Ham’s economic model is not sustainable.

8. Texas Born & Bred

I was hoping they would try and float the ark in a pond, especially if was built entirely of wood (no nails or screws) and built to scale. I tend to believe engineers that say it would not be sea worthy. So would such a monster boat hold together in a pond much less an ocean?

I think that would be interesting to see. Up the road from the Museum is, or should I say was, Big Butter Jesus. God torched Jesus to the gorund a few years ago. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Kings_(statue)

9. Kerry

Clearly one of the biggest miracles with the Ark was the way god put all of the animals into hibernation for a year, thus alleviating feeding and cleaning up after. Do I get an Amen! (Obviously I mean this in jest.) The point is you can make up any story to justify how the Ark story worked and one cannot disprove my hibernation any more then one can disprove the ark, so it is just as possible.

Yep, that is exactly what I taught and taught others. The only problem, of course, it that the Bible does not say that anywhere. Even the Fundamentalist rightly understands the impossibility of all those animals being on the ark for a year. So what do they do? Make shit up. :)

10. 1415dr

If they were all in a coma you could just stack all the animals in a big pile. Brilliant!

Since we’re thinking magically, why didn’t God just cause all of the wicked people’s hearts to stop beating? They would drop dead and there would be no need for a massive flood at all. He could even vaporize their dead bodies to get rid of the stench. Nothing is impossible with God.

11. Dale

BIG BUTTER JESUS! Thank you for my daily laugh, Bruce! Outta curiosity, did it look like a big butter sculpture? Hard to tell from the Wikipedia picture.

Yeah, it had a creamy appearance. We drove by it on I-75 every time we went to a Reds game in Cincinnati.

If you have not heard Heyward Banks song on BBJ…it is a riot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mf2u9VWAhM