Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty Fame Talks Out of Both Sides of His Mouth

phil robertson

The A&E TV hit Duck Dynasty is the new darling of many Evangelical Christians. The Robertson clan, the focus of Duck Dynasty, are not ashamed to share their Evangelical Christian beliefs. Evangelicals are always looking for a new face for their movement, and right now the Robertson clan is that face.

Phil Robertson recently  got himself in some hot water when he said:

“Everything is blurred in what’s right and wrong. Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there — bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”

“Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers — they won’t inherit the kingdom of God … Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

And in classic Evangelical talking out of both sides of your mouth, Robertson said:

“We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job,” he told GQ. “We just love ‘em, give ‘em the good news about Jesus — whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ‘em out later, you see what I’m saying?”

Of course Phil Robertson is not judging anyone…God is…the Bible is, right? Did you notice his  extra-biblical take on the Bible verse he loosely quoted, equating homosexuals and alcoholics with terrorists?

Robertson received a tremendous amount of backlash from his Evangelical homophobic statement about homosexuality. (he simply stated what Evangelicals believe)  Robertson later released the following statement:

“I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

Like many Evangelicals, he can not see that equating two people loving each other with murderers who fly planes into buildings is offensive. After all, he was just wants to give people the Word, right?

Here’s a word for Phil Robertson…well I won’t type it. Read my mind.

Update from Fox News

“Duck Dynasty” dad Phil Robertson has been placed on indefinite suspension by the A&E Network following his recent comments on homosexuality, the network announced Wednesday night.

“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty,” the network said in a statement.

“His personal views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.”

Let the faux Evangelical Christian outrage begin. James Dobson is sure to see this as another sign of the evils of Obamacare and Glenn Beck is sure to see this as a sign of Christian persecution. Since this happened during the Christmas season, Bill O’Reilly and Megyn Kelly surely will see this as another battle in the War on Christmas. Stay tuned, Sarah Palin will soon weigh in and tell us everything she doesn’t know.

Robertson will soon be back. A&E had to appease those who were calling for Robertson’s head. Personally, I hope they let Robertson keep quacking. The more he quacks the more he exposes the ugly underbelly of Evangelical Christianity.

1. Mark

The Bible is cool with slavery. Phil Robertson must like slavery, before without slave labor, who would manufacture all of the cheap Duck Dynasty merchandise?

They are in to everything now. Here is an interesting article on the millions the Robertsons are making.

2. Bruce Gerencser

Man, am I a prophet? :) Sarah Palin said “Those ‘intolerants’ hatin’ and taking on the Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing his personal opinion are taking on all of us,”

Thanks Sarah. I knew I could count on you.

1. gimpi

Yes, she’s the gift that keeps on giving. You can always count on her for a laugh.

2. Dale

As I tell my mother-in-law, who loves how Sarah Palin,”Speaks her mind!”…just because one can speak their mind doesn’t mean they should.

Very true, Dale. All of us…on occasion…should NOT open our mouths. Palin? She should be mute 99% of the time. :)

3. brbr2424

Why is Sarah Palin a hero to evangelicals? She is a disaster as a mother by any standard. Also, why do evangelicals assume that the daughter had an unplanned pregnancy? My daughters graduated from high school in the past two years and there were girls like Bristol, who didn’t enjoy school, and wanted to become mothers, and they tried and succeeded in getting pregnant. There were squeals of excitement in the hallways as the news was shared. Also, if an unmarried young woman plans a pregnancy, is she still a hero to the pro-life crowd?

3. Bruce Gerencser

Here’s a bit more of Robertson’s interview in GQ:

“It seems like, to me, a vagina — as a man — would be more desirable than a man’s anus, That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

I wonder if Robertson thinks heterosexual anal or oral sex is “sinful.” Come on dudes, you know where God wants you to put it. :)

1. Appalachian Agnostic

This shows an inability to imagine yourself in someone else’s place. He’s basically saying…I am not sexually attracted to other men, therefore homosexuality is not logical…

What if everyone applied that way of thinking to every area of life? I personally do not like the taste of coconut, should I therefore conclude that it is not logical for other people to eat coconuts?

Your blog is a refreshing break from all the “I stand with Phil” crap I am hearing and reading everywhere else since yesterday morning.

Yeah, I monitor a lot of Christian/Religious-Right blogs and their hysteria would be amusing if it wasn’t for the fact that they are serious.

4. Bruce Gerencser

And Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association, a card carrying racist, bigot, and homophobe had this to say:

“Phil Robertson is a new American hero. He said exactly what the great majority of Americans believe, Phil Robertson is right. It’s a simple matter of plumbing. Easy to figure out what is supposed to go where. And where not.”

1. gimpi

Actually, according to the most recent polls, the majority of Americans don’t believe that anymore. Support for marriage-equity is over 50%. Perhaps Mr. Fisher needs to do a bit more fact-checking before he opens his mouth.

5. Stephanie

You know, him being suspended is just going to help the their cause, as you said. I don’t know why some people have to act so shocked as to his views, as if they didn’t know what a conservative, evangelical protestant would believe.

1. Appalachian Agnostic

Yes, this is going to reinforce the “us vs. them” mentality. Hopefully, it will also encourage some people to actually think about their beliefs.

6. Scott

The thing I don’t understand is why people who basically bigoted stupid stuff say their free speech rights are being harmed by the rest of us calling them bigoted and stupid. Do they not know the train has left the station for most of the country being bigoted against gays? Do they think by having some popular person say dumb stuff that we will all go back to hating gays?

Scott,
    -who is baffled by people feeling stupid people get repressed by being criticized for saying stupid stuff.

1. brbr2424

There are a lot of people who are ignorant or dumb, and the Tea Party has flushed them all out of the wood work. Whining about someone being denied their right to free speech when an advertiser cancels an ad buy is getting tedious. In Sarah Palin’s book she refers to her purchase of a semi-automatic rifle, right after the Sandy Hook massacre of the school children, as an act of civil disobedience. I could see a an awkward person coming up with that line after a few beers. but this made it to print. Where was the editor to correct something so blatantly wrong? It wasn’t an act of civil disobedience. No law prevented her from doing that. Bad taste and lacking in empathy but not civil disobedience.

Yep. There is no persecution going on here. Agree or disagree with Obama, outside of the NSA/CIA spying revelations (which have been going on long before Obama), people are still free to do whatever they have always been able to do. There is nothing stopping a person from starting a new church on Sunday or buying whatever firearm they want. The laws have not changed.

Thanks for mentioning Palin. Her view on civil disobedience is not only ignorant but historically inaccurate. I am an old man now and I find myself saying, what in the hell has happened to my country? Here we are the freest nation on earth, supposedly educated and advanced, yet we are awash in ignorance. At times, I find it quite depressing.

Yep. The free speech highway runs both ways. Say things like Robertson did and you can expect people to object and push back. I am a public figure and I know that people are free to say what they want about me and my writing. Most people who do so are decent, thoughtful people. We can agree/disagree and still respect one another. And then there are the Phil Robertson’s of life…I have no respect for people like him. None. He is certainly free to be a homophobic bigot but he and his fellow Christians should not be shocked when some of us tell him what an ignorant dumb ass he is.

7. NeverAgainV

I see merchandise for these guys everywhere and I have seen commercials for their show.
    I’m so happy to say that I’ve never bothered watching one minute of that show. I heard from somewhere they were evangelicals and thought about watching, then thought
    ….Na, I’m ok without that. ;)

I’ll admit i have watched

19 and Counting…total crazy non birth control fundies

& only sneak peeked this, i just could not stomach it…..
    Sister Wives….Mormons

It’s been a very long time since watching those shows. The 19 & counting is just too fucking scary. There’s so much i could say about that, but I’m shutting up. LOL

I am not much of a reality TV fan because very little of it is real. Many things are staged and the outcome is certain. Real life is messy and unpredictable.

Polly and I tend to watch dramas. We do love Two Broke Girls and The Millers. With 2 Broke Girls, we love the humor. The Millers? They remind is of our future.( not the divorce part) :)

It’s amazing how the Right is up in arms about this “free speech issue”. My advice to them is read the fucking Constitution. As far as I can tell, the government isn’t persecuting him for his speech. But, yes dearies, the private sector & the public can and WILL persecute someone for speech that they don’t like. Count on it.

9. Justin

Yawwwwnnn. Is this something new? Huh? Wake me up when these rednecks do something new or unexpect… zzzzzzzzzzzzz

1. Appalachian Agnostic

It isn’t new, but I have been rather surprised to learn how many people I know personally, who I have always thought of as decent, caring, fairly bright people, are cheering this idiot on for his dumb comments. I am really disappointed in people. It makes me want to move to a different part of the country with more education and less religion.

Let me know when you find this place so Polly and I can join you. :) I am increasingly depressed over how ignorant and backwater many Americans are becoming. Even when they get a college education, many of them are still ignorant of the real world and their place in it.

Wake up!!! :)

10. Dale

This really is nothing more than a business decision. If A&E were to do nothing, they knew their REAL clients (those who purchase advertising for the show) would be targets of boycotts and unfavorable PR. So A&E pulled the trigger. It all comes down to dollars.

The right wing seems to be so enamored with giving Corporate America leeway to do anything it damn well feels like doing…moving jobs overseas, union busting, holding wages down while rewarding top executives with salaries and stock options not commensurate with company performance or lack thereof. Yet when one of their own says something insensitive about a large segment of our society, they scream about how the lefty pinko commies abridged their Freedom of Speech. Nope, A&E is a business. They made a business decision. End of story.

Yep, and I suspect, if the numbers warrant it, they will try to keep the problem on their channel. The show draws 9-12 million viewers a week and generates a lot of ad revenue. Like most things in life…it is all about the money. (and the Robertson’s have become quite wealthy as a result of the show)

11. Ian

I like what Steve said, how this isn’t a government issue. This is a case where a boss (A&E) is firing one of its employees for giving the company a black eye.

I feel the same way about this as I did about the Dixie Chicks controversy years ago. People have the freedom to say whatever they want. People also have to realize that there can be consequences for what they say. They have to count the cost and see if their free speech is going to be worth losing money or prestige. While I may not agree with what they say, everyone has the right to say it. This goes for the Right and Left.

Everyone knew Phil felt that way, he is an evangelical. Eventually, he was going to say something that would make people mad. One thing to remember, though, Phil was already on his way out. All I could quickly find was this link- http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3661012/- but it references Phil hinting he wanted to leave. Maybe, since he knew he was leaving he decided to go out with a bang. Controversy is always good for a TV show. The religious right will run to protect it and many who haven’t watched it will tune in to see what it is about.

Yeah, I suspect his comments will definitely be good for the Robertson’s business ventures.

I watched 15 minutes of the show one time just to see what it was all about. Polly and I have some relatives who think Duck Dynasty is the best TV show…ever. :) :( I am not much of a reality TV fan. We watch The Voice, The Sing Off, and America’s Got Talent. That’s it.

Here is another Robertson gem from the GQ interview:

Phil On Growing Up in Pre-Civil-Rights-Era Louisiana

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field…. They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!… Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

1. NeverAgainV

OK, no effin way! He did NOT say that about the plight of African Americans in the south…no no way! this guy is living in a friggen fantasy world, the bible fantasy bubble!

That guy has NO FUCKING IDEA what African Americans suffered & it’s obvious by such a glib statement like that. “oh no big deal….everything is hunky dory…”
      No- it’s NOT.

I constantly am amazed at the stupidity and how these people have NO fucking clue to be the outsider, the downtrodden or oppressed. (they think they’re being “persecuted” for their beliefs, they have no idea what REAL persecution is)

Unbelievable

2. gimpi

Wow. All I can say is his comments show deliberate ignorance, the kind of ignorance that you have to make a deliberate effort to keep.

So the black people he knew were fine with being denied the right to vote, with being lynched, with the Jim Crow segregation laws. I guess ending all that comes under the heading of “entitlement.” Very nasty.

It is a denial of the great suffering and denigration African-American people faced prior to the Civil Rights Act, desegregation, etc. Even now, we have a long way to go when it comes to race. Robertson is not peculiar in any way.(well outside of the fact that he looks like Charles Manson) Lots of people, including some of my Neanderthal relatives, think the same way. I have a Facebook page rather than a personal account. Polly tells me what some of my family/former parishioners post on Facebook. Ignorant, bigoted, racist…I am GLAD I don’t have a personal account. If I did, my friends list would be much smaller. Polly is much more long suffering than I am.

3. Paula

I was shocked when I read this in the morning paper. His remarks about blacks being so happy before the civil rights era haven’t gotten nearly as much attention.

Statement from the Robertson’s on the Duck Dynasty website:

We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E’s decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil’s unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart’ and ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ Phil would never incite or encourage hate. We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right. We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family.”

14. Texas Born & Bred

Sorry, but I don’t watch a lot of commercial tv, but I’ve read a bit about this controversy. So maybe the next step is to spin off a new reality series where Phil and the religious right confront the homosexual issue? Controvesy attracts viewers.

By the way, the only thing I watch that has commercials is “Untold Stories of the ER”.
    … now that’s a good show !!!

We are avid users of a DVR. We almost NEVER watch commercials. We get all kinds of channels on the satellite and watch about 20 of them. Let’s see:

HBO
      Fox Sports Ohio
      MSNBC
      ESPN
      NFL Channel
      MLB Channel
      Comedy Central

Every so often I will turn on one of the seven or so “Christian” channels we get to amuse myself. Gotta love crazy. :)

15. Howl

Disclaimer: I’ve never watched Duck Dynasty and until recently, couldn’t figure out why we were being assaulted with all this camo stuff everywhere.

All I can say is, “If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck…..Quack, quack”. We’re shocked, SHOCKED! that a man in his 70s who grew up PWT in rural, southern Louisiana and never left would hold such views and is not self conscious about them. Really?
    Now you have southern Evangelical twerking from a reality show star and the nation’s media & twitteratti need smelling salts to collectively revive themselves. Seriously?

It is depressing that the outpouring of support for this guy simply reflects what many, many people (religious or not) still believe about gays, about people of color; especially in the south. Even more depressing, I’m sure many are happy that he has voiced their beliefs.

Perhaps the blowback will cause him to reflect on his views and gain some perspective on the love thy neighbor thing, but likely not. These folks just can’t seem to get past the ‘Sweet Baby Jesus/Rageaholic God’ cognitive dissonance problem at the bottom of it all and his comments in the article perfectly reflect that.

AND thanks for pointin’ out that true patriot/constitutional scholar Sarah Palin is the gift that just keeps on givin’ and givin’ and givin’.

You said, “These folks just can’t seem to get past the ‘Sweet Baby Jesus/Rageaholic God’ cognitive dissonance problem.” Yep.

I told Polly last night, can you imagine a Sarah Palin as Vice President or President? I thought George W Bush was a simpleton but Palin makes him look like a Rhodes Scholar. So shallow and ignorant.

16. Jason

I don’t see what the big deal is. A man was asked a question about what he believed. He answered it honestly. If he had been asked what he believed about killers and rapists and he answered that with a biblical answer no one would have cared but don’t say anything bad about the gay community. Don’t ever do that. I will say he could have been more tactful and still not had to compromise his belief. This is not persecution in any way shape or form. I think America as a whole needs to toughen up and stop wearing their feelings on their sleeve. I miss the days when you could argue and fight and when it’s over said and done shake hands and go eat dinner together.

You can’t know how people may or may not respond. I have no problem with what he said. I WANT Evangelicals to talk like Robertson did. It exposes their true beliefs and the American people need to know this so they can appropriately judge Evangelical beliefs and politics. As I have long contended, Evangelicals are a great help in turning people away from Christianity. Just keep talking…

A&E has a right to determine what and who is best for their brand. The Robertsons, unless contractually obligated, are free to take their show to another network. BY all means, take the show to TBN or the one of the other Christian channels.

I see that you see “pussification” in everything, Jason. I can argue and fight with a person on many issues and still have dinner with them, However, there are many people I disagree with that I wouldn’t give them a sandwich if they were hungry. I am opposed to most everything they stand for and I would not want to share a meal with them. They are hateful, nasty, arrogant, self-rightous people…why would I want to spend one unforced moment around them?

I do agree with you that Robertson stating his views, even if he did so crudely, is not persecution. And neither are most of the things American Evangelicals claim are persecution. I have been repeatedly slandered and attacked on blogs, forums, in emails, and in the local newspaper. I would never claim I am being persecuted. People are free to say what they want about what I write. I am a public figure and I know that hateful and nasty comes with the territory.

17. Jason

It is no secret as to what we as Christians believe about homosexuality. He did not expose a hidden belief. A&E should have been smart enough to know this and cover all the bases before an interview such as this. They didn’t. It happened. Oh well. They made a business decision not a religious decision. Bruce I do not find weakness in everything. I just don’t like to hear people whine and cry about things as ridiculous as this. It doesn’t matter who you are. I give an equal opportunity to show maturity to everyone.

I assume you see your fellow Christians who are whining and crying about Roberston’s faux persecution the same way? I suppose you have commented on their blogs and websites and reminded them about their whining and crying? (I am betting not)

You made a misstatement in your first sentence. It is not what “we Christians believe” since millions of Christians are pro-choice and support a woman’s right to choose. Christians are quite divided on this issue. Even Evangelicals are not one voice on this issue.

The interview was done in GQ magazine. I don’t A&E had anything to do with it. As a business, they have every right to decide who to do business with. Robertson’s homophobic, bigoted, and racist comments are offensive to many people, and I am sure A&E is weighing whether his words are harmful to their brand. Again, every business has the right to do this. (and certainly people under contract have clauses in their contract that regulates certain speech and behavior) While the government, in most cases, can not restrict free speech in the public space, businesses are under no such restriction. Even more so since pay TV is not a public space.

Robertson remains free to say whatever he wants AND bear the consequences of doing so. The point of my post was to show his doubletalk, a common Evangelical problem when it comes to their beliefs about homosexuality. They actually think people buy the whole hate the sin, love the sinner line.

18. Jason

No I meant what I said. You misinterpreted it. The term Christian means to strive to be like Christ. As you know the Bible is very clear on how God views homosexuality so it is impossible to be neutral or for this type of behavior and actually be a Christian. I do however know people who live this lifestyle. I treat them with the same respect as I would anyone else. You assume correctly as to my fellow Christians whining and crying and I find them pathetic. As I said before he is not being persecuted and by them saying he is they are taking away from people who are really being persecuted. You are wrong about me not commenting. I have been very vocal about this and have commented on a few other blogs about it. Come on Bruce. I can’t let you have all the fun.

So, any person who believes homosexuality is not a sin, supports same sex marriage, and is not pro-life, is not a Christian? Just want to make sure I am hearing you right. So then, a person being a Christian is determined by believing an objective list of beliefs and not accepting all these beliefs means a person is not a Christian? (A hell of a lot of Christians who read this blog are going to be shocked to find out they are not Christians, at least according to you)

Good for you. You are the first Christian I have come in contact with on this issue that objects to the Christian hysteria on the Robertson affair.

19. Jason

The Bible calls it an abomination unto God. I don’t know how anyone could support this lifestyle and still call themselves a Christian. You are taking something that God is without a doubt against and you are saying it’s ok. That would be like saying “Hey I’m an Atheist but I think it’s wrong not to believe in God”. If I was to decide to support homosexuality then I would no longer claim to be a Christian. It just wouldn’t make sense to.

Interesting article on the business aspects of Duck Dynasty and their relationship with A&E. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/duck-dynasty-what-reality-hit-667316

Here are a few more Robertson quotes I found in various articles on the internet:

“Women with women. Men with men. They committed indecent acts with one another. And they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. They’re full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant God haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil.” — Speaking at the 2010 Wild Game Supper in Pottstown, Pa.

“Why do they murder and why do they hate us? Because all of them … 80 years of history, they all want to conquer the world, they all rejected Jesus and they’re all famous for murder. Nazis, Shintoists, Communists and the Mohammedists. Every one of them the same way.” — Preaching at Hillsboro Church of Christ in El Dorado, Ark., in 2008.

“From one man God made all nations of men. We all came from the same dude, and I don’t know what color he was.” — Preaching at Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, Calif. in July 2013.

A good woman is “hard to find. Mainly because these boys are waiting until they get to be about 20 years old before they marry ‘em. Look, you wait till they get to be about 20 years old, they only picking that’s going to take place is your pocket. You gotta marry these girls when they’re 15 or 16, they’ll pick your ducks. You need to check with mom and dad about that, of course.” — Speaking at Sportsmen’s Ministry in Georgia in 2009.

“I’m no preacher. Know how you can know? This is free! Now, if I pass the hat, you can say, ‘He’s a preacher.’” — Speaking at Lakeway Chevron in Texas, December 2012.

Theologian Bristol Palin weighs in:

Everyone needs to leave Phil Robertson alone for expressing his beliefs. I think it’s so hypocritical how the LGBT community expects every single flippen person to agree with their life style. This flies in the face of what makes America great – people can have their own beliefs and own opinions and their own ways of life.

Everyone needs to treat others like God would, with love.

It goes both ways.

I hate how the LGBT community says it’s all about “love” and “equality.”

However, if you don’t agree with their lifestyle, they spread the most hate. It is so hypocritical it makes my stomach turn. They need to learn how to respect others’ opinions and not just jump to the conclusion that everyone who doesn’t support homosexuality and gay marriage is homophobic.

They take the easy way out every time anyone speaks out about their beliefs on the Bible.

If I were Duck Dynasty, I would take my show to another channel.

So much disrespect.

Phil Robertson’s granddaughter gives her opinion on Twitter and quotes two gays Timon and Pumba. :)

24. Pingback: The Week the Cracker Quacked: The Duck Dynasty Saga