The Weekend

mothers day may 10 2013-008

Our daughter Laura, graduates from Bowling Green State University on Saturday. She is the first person in our family to graduate from a state university with a four-year degree. (We have two daughter-in-laws with a four-year degree, and two of our children have a two-year degree, as does Polly)  Later in the day, we will be having a party for Laura at Sweetwater Chop House.

mothers day may 10 2013-007

Sunday is our Family Christmas. When our children began to marry, Polly and I decided that we did not want to put any pressure on our children to be at our home on Christmas or Christmas Eve; so we have our Family Christmas the Sunday before Christmas. This arrangement has served us well and allows our children to be here without of the stress of needing to be somewhere else in a few hours.

I have said all to this to say…I am going to be pretty busy this weekend, so I doubt if I will do any writing. I will be taking a lot of pictures, so I might post a few of them if time allows.

mothers day may 10 2013-009

Thank you for reading and I hope all of you will have a wonderful Christmas. Whatever Christmas means to you, I hope it will be a blessed time for you and your family. When our family gathers together, Polly and I are reminded that we are indeed blessed and have much to be grateful for. No matter how much pain I am in, I know that I am a blessed man to have a wonderful wife, six awesome children, three daughter-in-laws, and nine grandchildren.

Bruce

1. Lydia

Merry Christmas to you as well!

And congratulations to Laura. :)

2. theObserver

Have a great holiday Bruce. Congratulations to Laura !

3. Michael Mock

I love the “Sunday Before Christmas” arrangement. My wife and I set up an “alternating relatives” arrangement when we first got married, precisely so we wouldn’t be running all over the place on any given holiday. (Both my parents and hers are relatively close by, so it’s generally not an issue, but it still keeps things simpler. This year we’ll have Christmas Day with her parents, and the following Sunday with my side of the family.)

Merry Christmas to you and Polly and all of yours!

4. Chikirin

Thanks Bruce for your blog and all the work you do, its been such a help to me.

5. Paula

Merry Christmas to you and Polly, and your Sunday Family Christmas is a fine and thoughtful idea. Holiday arrangements are so often stressful for young marrieds.

My late MIL was adamant that she felt that Christmas had to be at her home. My inlaws were not gracious about working things out with us and my parents, not even when my dad was terminally ill. My older SIL who is unmarried was also quite troublesome in those years. She had no mate of her own to be concerned with and seemed fixated on absolutely nothing about their family Christmas ever changing. (Of course, the family has become so large by now that she hasn’t been able to stop the inevitable changes.)

Finally, after we’d been married about ten years, we said enough already. We declared that we had the right to have some Christmas traditions in our own home and that every other year, we would be in it. Anyone who wanted to join us was welcome. His family did not come. His Mother never spent a single Christmas in our home. My Mother graciously took turns being at our house or hers for the rest of her life. Whoever traveled for Christmas got to host Thanksgiving.

I’m sure your children and their spouses really appreciate your attitude.

6. ... Zoe ~

Well done Laura!

Wishing you and Polly along with your family all the best during this festive season. I started the Sunday before Christmas thing this year.

It makes everything so much more enjoyable for us. Polly and I spent years going to her parents on Christmas Eve and then getting up early and going to my Mom’s Christmas day. It was OK when they lived closed by…but if we had to drive a distance it was quite tiring.

7. NeverAgainV

Hope you have a great time with your beautiful family Bruce.

thanks for all you do! You have helped me so much over the years since i left the
    bible cult in 2007!

Your friend,
    April :)

8. Mary Ellen

Bruce, you have a beautiful family! Have a great holiday!

If only you would give your life to Jesus, you would know the REAL meaning of Christmas :)

I think I will do that right now. :)

Enjoy the time with your beautiful family; may you all have a wonderful weekend together (and, a Jebus free one:)

11. richardmarlowe236

Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your family Bruce!

12. John Arthur

Hi Bruce,

May you, Polly, your children and all your grand children have a wonderful and enjoyable time this Christmas. Thanks for all your bloging during this and previous years and I look forward to more in the future.

You have been a great help to me through your writing. Many thanks.

Shalom,

John Arthur

13. Dale

Bruce, we readers will manage somehow without you for a few days. Having said that, so help me, um, Deities, that if you so much as check in to your blog and not enjoy your beautiful family uninterrupted, I will drive from Oklahoma to Ohio for the sole purpose of kicking your heathen ass!
    Congratulations, Laura! You’ve got quite an old man there, and he’s come to mean a lot to me.

14. Dale

TIME TO RECYCLE OLD JOKE…by the way, Bruce, Laura must have gotten your looks…because Polly still has hers! (rimshot).

15. Appalachian Agnostic

Congratulations and Merry Christmas to all of you!

16. Justin

Bruce (and Polly)(and all who read),

What a beautiful family. I think that is what this life is all about–whatever family you find yourself in.

Thanks, Bruce, for your writing and friendship. I wish you all a Happy Holidays and the strength to take each new day as it comes.

–Justin

17. Scott

Happy Holidays!

Today my Humanist group had a presentation on the history of the season. Sunday night we have a Solstice dinner with a presentation on the night sky of the season and a performance by Prudence Johnson. It’s a great way to celebrate the season.

Happy Holidays to all.

Scott

18. Jada

Thank you for sharing your family with us, Bruce. I wish you all a joyous holiday season!

19. Silver

Merry Christmas, and congratulations to Laura! My side is (liberal) christian and my husband’s side is (reform) jewish, so there’s not a lot of conflict over the holidays.

20. Kat

Happy Christmas to you, too, Bruce! I wish you and yours a wonderful day and lots of fun and food. :-)