Pensacola Christian College Accused of Mishandling Rape and Sexual Assault Reports

pcc

Pensacola Christian College (PCC), an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist (IFB) college in Pensacola, Florida, finds itself under attack due to their alleged  mishandling and cover-up  of rapes and sexual assaults. The point of this post is not to write a detailed post about the issue. If you want to understand what is going on down at PCC, I encourage you to read:

The IFB church movement prides itself on its purity and its devotion to God. ANYTHING that might tarnish their purity or their “testimony” is quickly dealt with and often buried underneath a rug that now reaches to the heavens. It should come as no shock that it is alleged that PCC mishandled rape and sexual assault complaints or that they blamed the victim rather than the perpetrator.

Think with me, for a moment, long time readers…Make a mental list of the commenters who have been the nastiest, who have aggressively gone after me, sparing no attempt to destroy my name and character. With few exceptions, these people come from an IFB church background and many of them were educated in IFB Christian schools and IFB Christian colleges.  They were taught a warped view of human sexuality and they were reminded from their youth up that the man is the leader, the head, the boss, the supreme power.  This thinking is modeled to them by their parents, adults in the church, and their pastor.  This thinking is reinforced in the Christian school they attended and the Christian college they attended. Should it shock us then that these young men, with raging hormones that have been suppressed and legislated away by IFB rules governing sexuality, have no sexual self-control when they go to college?  That they think that women should always yield to their advances? That they have no idea what sexual assault is because they have heard their pastor say for their whole life that it is the duty of the wife to put out whenever the man demands it? That everything in their upbringing exalted the man and demeaned the woman?

I am not making an excuse for their behavior, but I am suggesting that the underlying issue is what IFB boys and young men are taught about sex, marriage, and the opposite sex. They MUST be held accountable for their actions and IFB church and college leaders must also be held accountable for how their teachings have turned some young men into sexual predators.

But, if there is one thing I know about the IFB church movement, accountability is not their thing. Instead of taking these charges seriously, PCC issued the following statement:

Pensacola Christian College is being harassed and victimized through recent online accounts. We have no way of verifying the unverifiable stories, but an exhaustive review of our records has revealed nothing to support these claims. Not only were such incidents never reported, but we categorically deny that any student has ever been expelled from PCC for being a victim of rape or any other crime.

The internet provides an open forum that allows unfounded assertions to be spread without proof. There seems to be no defense against such attacks getting started when someone has an agenda.

While we cannot speak for how well other institutions respond to victims of crime, PCC has upheld the law, will continue to uphold the law, reports criminal acts when we are made knowledgeable of them, and fully cooperates with any investigation. Further, the college, its administration, and counseling staff stand ready to support and assist victims.

In other words, people with an agenda are lying about Pensacola Christian College. Mark my word, this is but the tip of the iceberg. Instead of dealing openly and honestly with these allegations, PCC and its defenders will go after those who making the allegations.  They will lie, obfuscate, and deny, because the ONLY thing that matters to them is maintaining their power and reputation. In this regard, the IFB church movement is no different from the Catholic church.

If you are unfamiliar with how the IFB church movement handles these kind of things, please read my posts on Jack Hyles, David Hyles,  and Bill Wininger.  As you will clearly see, these things are not exceptions to the rule. The rule in the IFB church is to cover-up or blame others,  and when they can’t convert-up, lie, distort, and go after those who oppose them. I am sure Arlin Horton has already put in a call to David Gibbs’s law firm. (Gibbs is the IFB equivalent of a fixer)

1. brbr2424

From what I’ve read, blaming the victim starts young. I’ve heard the phrase “defrauding” men. A guy becomes the victim of fraud if a girl doesn’t wear a shapeless bag or if there is some slip up with said bag. If the guy has been defrauded, it follows that he should get revenge. I don’t watch the Duggars, but apparently they say Nike when they see a sexy woman. In addition to being incredibly rude, it sends the message to the brothers that the sisters approve of attacking a woman who is dressed in a way that shows off her body.

1. Stephanie

Grew up with the modesty crap. Completely disregard it now. Women (and men) should be respected and not threatened no matter what they wear or don’t!

2. Scott

As you’ve stated there’s no difference between this and the Roman catholic cover up. And probably buddhist and Hindu as well…… Atheists just have a good time.

3. Stephanie

What a bunch of bologna that statement is. It is just like the Middle East they claim to be so different from. Blame women at every turn for breaking the rules and dressing “immodestly.” And of course there was a male rape victim and he was pretty much laughed out of the place after they preached at him for “lying.” You know, “real” men can’t be victims! Morality consists of image only not actual actions.

4. Beth

I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog.
    But I have to say this is not just a christian problem , from men with repressed sexuality.
    I went to a very liberal college and this was a hugh problem and they totally tried to cover it up. Liberal professors , not christians.
    Lot’s of liberal athiest men I have met sexually harass women. Liberal athiest men have been caught molesting children and raping women.This is about power and it happens everywhere.

Granted, these kind of things can be found in every social group. I write on Christianity and Evangelicalism so this is why I focus on the abuse that goes on in Christian/Evangelical institutions.

Christians like to think that they have the high moral road. Stories like this show us they don’t.

I totally agree it is about power, be it political or relgious power.

Thank you for commenting.

Bruce

PS. And if you find a specific story about a known atheist raping or sexually harassing women please let me know. I will gladly write about it.

5. beth

I have actually been reading about the sexual harassment of women in the atheist’s and skeptic conferences and communities.I will try to find the links for you.Or you could google it..
    I will say, that from what I read, the men are all dismissing it. Being a women who has been there, it does not surprise me.
    It will take me a few days as I have lyme disease , a bit like fibromyalgia , so I’m a bit slow with things. I am amazed that you keep up your blog so well! My brain does not work as well anymore. And I know that you can have a similar brain fog with fibromyalgia.Well done you!
    Really,how do you do it. I’m exhausted! I do hope I find the links and can post them..
    Beth

I am familiar with those stories. While I think there is a real issue at the core, the issues have been so enflamed, exaggerated, and distorted, that it is Impossible to know what the facts are. Those who disagree have been attacked, slandered, and savaged by bloggers who seem to have no problem with ruining the lives of others. These issues are one of the reasons I stay away from the atheist community. There is so much infighting and hostility these days. Nine months ago I tried to do some writings on these issues and it turned into a disaster for me. I certainly don’t want to go down that road again. It resulted in me stopping blogging. That said, I am more than willing to write about stories that make it to the public news or can reliably be verified. Rape an sexual harassment is bad no matter where it is found.

You can use the contact form to send me any info.

Thanks.

Bruce

I go through spells, health wise. Writing is my job, so I try to write every day. Some days I am exhausted quite quickly, other days not so much. I find that writing helps with the cognitive problems I have. It forces me to use my brain when I don’t necessarily want to. I know I am fighting a losing battle but I keep at it until I can’t any more.

6. beth

Yes, I agree with you. The infighting is terrible. And there is no proof .I think there has been attacks from both sides, or so it seems to me. And I don’t want to side track you on a subject you already had troubles with.
    I thought right after I mentioned it that maybe I shouldn’t go there. But, I do still feel for the women, because I have been there. Not,saying that all stories are true.Rape and sexual harassment is a hard problem for both men and women ,simply because of the difficulty of proving it.In my more charitable moods, I try to take a more Buddhist perspective.We are all sentient beings living in a confusing world..(well,maybe the american watered down version!)
    It is true;consistent writing does help the brain, kind of like excercise.
    Be well -Beth

7. Song Maiden

I am a graduate of PCC, and I can say with certainty that it was every bit as legalistic and stifling as you imagine it to be. My parents sent me there because it was inexpensive and because church people were pressuring them to send me to a Christian college.

I don’t doubt that PCC made light of rape allegations. PCC has always been very concerned about its “corporate testimony,” which means that students are not valued as individuals. “It’s not WHAT you know; it’s WHOM you know that matters here,” I was told sadly by a friend.

One of my friends, a gifted singer and pianist, tried out for ensemble. Jason was told, however, that he had a feminine walk and held his hands in a feminine way when he played the piano. Since PCC didn’t want an “effeminate” pianist making it look bad, exercises were recommended to Jason so that he would look less feminine when he played the piano.

Like much of the IFB culture, PCC is and was about control. “Our authority comes from God,” we were told Freshman English students were instructed that it was “inappropriate” to criticize PCC in papers. The rulebook my freshman year stated, “If you are right with God, then these rules should be no problem for you.” Students were discouraged from questioning what they were taught in classes.

As a graduate of PCC, I am truly sorry to the victims of sexual assault at PCC. I hope that they all will understand that what happened to them is not their fault.