Feeding and Helping a Feral Cat

Several months ago, a feral cat and her two kittens wandered into our yard. We tried to ignore them for as long as we could, but the animal lover in us won out and we decided to feed them. All three cats were quite scrawny, and about six weeks ago one of the kittens no longer made an appearance in our yard. We suspect the kitten died.

Now that it is winter, we have put a doghouse stuffed with straw in the backyard so the kitten can escape the cold and snow. Sometimes, one of the other local feral cats checks into the doghouse, but the kitten uses it almost every day.

While we are in no position to bring the cat into our home, it is within our power to feed and help him. I wish everyone would spay their cats and not allow them to roam free, but there are a lot of irresponsible pet owners so it is up to responsible, caring people to help the least of these. These cats don’t deserve to be punished because of the stupidity of supposed intelligent human beings.

feral kitten

Feral Kitten

feral kitten

Feral Kitten

feral kitten

Feral Kitten

feral kitten

Feral Kitten

feral kitten

Feral Kitten

Nice shots!! Can I have one?? Lol!

2. Ami

So you’re back online and now we find you’re running a cat house.
    Nice.

3. Erin Word

So is it just the kitten now? Is the mom gone?

It really bothers me that people can be so irresponsible with their pets. To some people, they are just animals, but if they’ve been domesticated, they aren’t necessarily equipped to fend for themselves. I know I’m preaching to the choir…lol.

Mom usually stops by every day. Sometimes the kitten is with her, other times he is by himself. We have about five strays that come through are yard. There have been many over the years. We try to love and help them. Sadly, in time, they die. We try to give them a little comfort. We compost….the cats (and raccoons, opossums, and woodchucks) love our compost pile. To them it is a buffet. 🙂

We have two inside cats, both rescue cats. We had three but the oldest cat died earlier this year. We also have a rescue dog.

I have no patience for people who don’t care for their animals. When we take in an animal we are making a commitment to him/her. It ain’t easy sometimes. Stepping in a fresh hair ball at 3 am on the way to the bathroom is certainly no fun. 🙂

1. Erin Word

Haha I’ve done the hairball thing many times.

It’s nice for you guys to take the time to make their lives a little better. Goodness knows we can’t save them all.

4. Doug B

I’m a sucker for a hungry little animal. I’ve made many happy “friendships” by showing a little compassion.

5. PatF

I’ve moved to Las Vegas since we last talked. Anyway, there is a huge vacant lot view from the apartment. People put boxes over the vacant lot fence for the stray cats and people leave food and water for them.

Here’s the thing in Vegas. So many stray cats. Animal control picks them up, neuters them, then returns them to their colony. Great idea.

6. theagnosticwife

Thank you for helping the cats. All my many animals are rescues.

7. david buckley

welcome back Bruce. And thanks for caring about them little pussycats.

8. gimpi1

So glad you’re back. Good for you, helping feral cats. I’m currently feeding a feral fellow, and we’ve built him a den. I’ve been able to domesticate a couple of feral cats, but this fellow is still standoffish.

Glad you’re up to blogging again. Be well… or as well as you can be.

9. Angiep

I’m guessing you don’t have access to any organizations that will trap and then spay or neuter your strays? Too bad..but thank you for helping as you are able.

Not around here. There is a reduced fee spaying clinic but that’s it.

10. Monty

Welcome back Bruce! All my cats are rescues. I think there’s a special bond when you rescue an animal. Thanks for all you do for the feline community.