April Blog News

for your information

Thank you for reading The Life and Times of Bruce Gerencser. What follows is the April 2015 Blog News.

Ways to Read

There are serveral ways you can read The Life and Times of Bruce Gerencser.

You can use an RSS feed reader

Post RSS Feed

Comment RSS Feed

You can subscribe to a daily digest of posts. Each day there is a post, at 6:00 PM EST, you will receive an email containing the complete text of the posts for that day. I use MailChimp to handle the mailing list.

Mailing List Subscription From

You can unsubscribe at any time. Every email has an unsubscribe link.

You can also read this blog in a browser or access it via Twitter and Facebook.

Mobile Theme

I am using WPTouch Pro to handle mobile devices. Almost 50% of readers use a smartphone or tablet to access this site. If you would like a feature added or experience a glitch please let me know.

Added Facebook Page

In response to readers requesting it, I have added a Facebook page for The Life and Times of Bruce Gerencser. Every post will be published to this page. If you are on Facebook, I’d really appreciate you clicking LIKE. This page is NOT my personal Facebook account. If you would like to be BFF’s on Facebook, please click here.

Social Media

Facebook

Twitter

Google+

Health Update

April 9th, I have an appointment with a surgeon, Dr. Dale Sloan, at Lutheran Hospital in Fort Wayne. I continue to have loss of weight, loss of appetite, spikes in body temperature, and a sharply elevated SED rate. I have been dealing with this for four months now. Six weeks ago, I started having dull aching pain on my right side. Two weeks ago, I started having sharp and aching pain in my left side. At first I thought it might be pleurisy or inflammation, but it has not gone away so I suspect it is something else. Pancreatitis? Gall bladder? Hopefully I will know more after I see the surgeon. He has requested all my recent records and tests.

Last month I said I was planning on avoiding doctors. Unfortunately, my body did not get the memo.

As I mentioned in a previous post, last Sunday I had a nasty fall that resulted in a sprained ankle and a nasty contusion on my leg. I am fortunate I didn’t fall down a concrete abutment into the canal. If I had, I wouldn’t be writing this post. I did get some awesome photographs which I plan to share later.

Songs of Sacrilege

Thank you for all the submissions for the Songs of Sacrilege Series. If you come across a song that is irreverent towards religion, makes fun of religion, pokes fun at sincerely held religious beliefs, or challenges the firmly held religious beliefs of others, please leave the name the song in the comment section or send me an email.

Questions

I have asked readers to submit questions they would like me to answer. If you have not yet asked your question, please do so. I hope to start answering them later this week.

Donations

Donations are always appreciated, never expected or required. You can find the donation form on the right sidebar at the bottom.

How to Contact Me

You can contact me via the contact form. If you would like to text me from time to time, please use the contact form to send me your cellphone number. Once I receive your number, I will send you a text. I text back and forth with several people who read this blog and I’d love to do the same with you. I promise, no naked selfies. Maybe me in a speedo or me showing off my 36 pack, but no naked selfies.

1. Van

Can you add either a “preview post” or an “edit” function to posts made in Safari? I’m often embarassed to find speling and grammar mistakes in my posts that I are unable to fix.

Done. Let me know if you see any glitches.

1. Van

It works! Thanks! Best wishes tomorrow.

Just for you, Van. 🙂

2. Carmen

I’ve been thinking of getting a cell phone (one that will work here in the ‘boonies’) but since there’ll be no trading naked selfies. . . (DARN!!. . .)
    😉

3. Zoe

Thinking of you Bruce. Hope Dr. Sloan can put some answers together for you. <3

4. Becky Wiren

Have your kidneys been checked?

Yes. I have lots of questions to ask tomorrow. 🙂

5. Wayne Beamer

Hi Bruce: I’m reading your posts via the RSS feed reader NewsBlur, but I’m unable to see a daily feed of your stories without seeing separate listings for Facebook, Twitter and such. HELP! Thanks… Wayne

Hey Wayne,

Can you give me a few more details?

A screen shot would help. I can send you my email address.

I use an RSS reader on my iPad and everything looks normal.

Thanks.

Bruce

6. Becky Wiren

Hey Bruce, hope your doctor appt went all right.

Several people have asked about my doctor’s appointment today. Although I do have gallstones, the surgeon does not think I should have my gallbladder removed. He said that I do not have classic gallbladder symptoms. Normally, the pain would be on the right side and vary depending on what I ate. My pain is sharp, constant, in the upper left quadrant. I can not sleep on my left side, back, or stomach. Right now, I am getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night.

So, watch and wait. Blood work tomorrow to make sure I don’t have pancreatitis. Could be pleurisy, but I have had it before and it always is made worse by inhaling. This pain is constant, deep. Could be inflammation, so I am also having my SED rate rechecked to see if it has gone up. As you might remember, under 20 in the norm. Last year, my SED rate climbed to 35 and then in December it jumped from 35 to 67. This is a sign of increasing inflammation, but where?

Doctor thinks I should have CT scan or MRI repeated again if pain doesn’t go away.

Only negative was having to listen to the doctor (surgeon) lecture me about my weight. I have never seen him before. He acted like he knew everything about me. He is a big believer in calories in/calories out determining a person’s weight. His ignorance reflects his age, 63. I said nothing and let him preach his sermon. He knew I had Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and neurological problems, but, in his mind, I just needed to eat less. Never mind, he didn’t ask what I did eat. Had he done so, he would have found out that 90% of the time I don’t overeat. He thought my weight loss was wonderful. Never mind it is because I have no appetite. He could see my pants were falling off of me…but hey…no Big Mac and all will be well.

I am frustrated, tired, sick, angry, pissed off, depressed, and suicidal. I have those moments where I say to myself, no more. Maybe Polly would be better off collecting the insurance and finding herself a man that isn’t a physical wreck. She deserves better.

Since November 2014, I’ve had a CT scan, MRI, ultrasound, endoscopic ultrasound, biopsies of pancreas and lymph nodes, numerous blood tests, and five office visits. Cost? My insurance paid out $25,000 of which I (we) owed over $6,000. Just today, after my latest appointment, we stopped at 1st Source in Fort Wayne, to sign papers for a $5,000 personal loan. Parkview Hospital refused to help us with the bill and demanded we pay the bill off in no more than 12 payments. To avoid them ruining our credit, we took out a personal loan.

All this money and I am not one step closer to knowing what is wrong with me. Last week, the gastroenterologist called and said he wanted the endoscopic ultrasound redone in 6-9 months. Why? I thought my biopsies were benign?

I am not writing this to solicit medical advice, money, or sympathy. This is not a cry for help. No intervention is needed or desired. This is me grabbing the hair on my hairless head and screaming ____________________. (fill blank in with appropriate swear word)

What I have detailed above has been my life since 2007. I’ve had Fibromyaglia since 1997, but, in 2007, I started having neurological problems. Numbness in my thighs, face, and feet. Burning, searing pain if I walk for every long. I’ve lost motor function and muscle strength. I can no longer drive the car and must use a cane or wheelchair to get around. The doctors initially thought I had MS, but after $20,000 worth of brain scans and tests, the doctors said “inconclusive for MS.”

Since 2007, I have also had basal cell skin cancer removed from my nose, a cyst removed from my leg, and carpal tunnel surgery. Last weekend, I had a nasty fall and almost fell down a concrete abutment into a canal filled with water. Instead of falling backwards, I fell forward, spraining my ankle and causing a huge, bloody contusion on my leg. Polly was trying to help me up the abutment when all of a sudden she lost her grip and I fell. She ended up with bruised knees. But hey, I got some great photographs. 🙂

Why are you writing this, Bruce? Beats me. Feels good. Time to play some Rage Against the Machine.

Yes, I feel like dying. Yes, I feel like throwing in towel. Yes, I feel like taking a Doctor House dosage of drugs and calling it a day never to wake up again. But, I can’t. The Reds are 3-0 and in first place. Maybe this is the year. 🙂 Polly and I have tickets for Sunday’s Reds vs. Cardinals game. I can’t feel any worse than I do now…well I don’t think I can anyway, so I am going to keeping doing what I can do. As long as the sun is shining, there is gas in the car, and money in the checkbook, I plan on getting out of the house, camera in hand.

Hey, I feel better. Thanks for listening. 🙂

8. Becky Wiren

Oh Bruce! I’m sorry, sorry you’re in pain, sorry you don’t know what’s wrong. And on top of it, your doctor is an @sshole! Too bad you have to go to this douche. 🙁

Yeah, you do need to hang on for the Reds. It’s time for them to go all the way. You wouldn’t want to miss that. 😉

9. Kaneda Jones

Maybe it’s too obvious, but for your songs series, isn’t this perfect?