Jesus Said Love Your Enemies, Yet God ‘Jesus’ Tortures His Enemies in Hell

Here’s a graphic a friend of mine used for a post titled, Being A “Nicer, Friendlier” Fundy Doesn’t Change The Message:

bruce gerencser quote

I hope you will read

1. Karen the rock whisperer

Raised Catholic, i was taught that if I had faith, prayed, confessed my sins, and took Communion regularly I was assured of a place in Heaven. (Though, if I wasn’t attempting works, my faith might be suspect, since for Catholics, works are important reflections of faith.) But then I started to struggle with faith, and struggle with depression, and I vacillated between being convinced I was Hell-bound through no fault of my own, and convinced that I was deserving of the deepest hole of Hell. Long after I reasoned my way out of religion, I feared the judgment of a wrathful deity in my gut. Hell, to the Catholics of my generation, didn’t involve actual physical torture but was a state of unrelenting misery, loneliness, and despair. But hey, in the deeps of depression, I was already there! And the idea that it could last forever — that suicide or any sort of death couldn’t fix the problem — was terrifying.

I’m past all that, the depression is well-controlled, and my gut no longer jumps in fear of judgment. But it took a damned long time.

2. Victoria

Bruce, thanks so much for the shout-out. 🙂

3. Martin

Jesus said ” Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you”. But we are doing exactly the opposite. We must learn to forgive. Forgiveness is one of the greatest spiritual habits you can develop for yourself. One of the most powerful ways to do this is by letting go, accepting yourself, loving yourself, and forgiving yourself.

1. Michael Mock

“What do you mean, ‘we’, Kemosabe?”

4. Milton Stanley

“I’d love to hear your explanation of Jesus saying, love your enemies, while God, the alter-ego of Jesus, tortures his enemies in hell.”

Fair point, concisely made. I accept your offer and will attempt to reply in kind.

God loves us enough to give us what we really, really want (regardless of what we say we want). If we really want to spend eternity in God’s all-encompassing presence praising and worshiping him without end, well, then, he shows us what we need to do now to do that then.

On the other hand, if we really, really, don’t want anything to do with God here and now, then how could we possibly enjoy his eternal omnipresence with everyone else falling all over themselves in singing his praises? If I’ve spent my life on earth trying to avoid God, then how could an eternity in his all-consuming presence be anything other than agonizing and hellish?

In short, the fire of hell and the fire of God’s holy presence are the same fire. Whether or not that fire is eternal bliss or eternal agony depends completely on whether or not we choose to live in harmony or in opposition to the God who is that consuming fire.

Such an assertion may sound unjust, especially as a mere human lifetime of obedience or disobedience produces an eternity of bliss or agony. But such an arrangement is no more unjust than the law of gravity. Should we attempt to defy gravity, however briefly, we may well pay an eternal price as well.

1. Michael Mock

Okay, so:
      What (in your view) does that do with those of us who, on a fundamental level, don’t think God is there? If we’re honestly mistaken, does that mean we’re in harmony with His desires, or does it mean that we’re reprobates who deserve punishment for this moral failing? To what extent should God be accountable for our ignorance, since he created us as limited beings and since the information He provides us in this life is limited and often ambiguous?

(It’s possible that we only really make the choice after death — “Now, we see as through a glass darkly, but then we shall see clearly” — but that isn’t the way it’s usually presented to me.)

5. Gary

“I’d love to hear your explanation of Jesus saying, love your enemies, while God, the alter-ego of Jesus, tortures his enemies in hell”…

OK, I may be totally wrong. But it seems like the historical Jesus was primarily interested in the re-uniting of the Northern Kingdom of Israel and the Southern Kingdom of Judah (the predominate themes in the Pentateuch – represented by JEDP), bringing about the apocalyptic “Kingdom of God” with a messiah and single King. Whether half-breeds from the North, or hypocrites from the South, Jesus wanted “love thy enemies”, or a threat of figuratively going to Gehana, a trash dump outside Jerusalem. Rationale, Jesus from North, Good Samaritan a half-breed, “all nations” could be translated “all tribes”. The whole convert Gentiles, Romans, Chinese, Indians, you name them, I think, comes from Paul, and later people, that seemed to get “visions” of an expanded mission. Maybe Jesus didn’t give a rat’s behind about anyone other than the OT Israel, and a mending of North and South hatred?

6. Mattia

HelloBruce

I just stumbled upon your corner of the blogosphere and I thought I try to answer your question. Your question seems to rest on two misunderstandings: first that God is sending anyone to hell and secondly that he is torturing anyone.

In reality anyone who is in hell is there because he prefered it over heaven. I know that this seems weird – why would anyone not want to be in heaven?

To illustrate this I want to show you the example of Dan Price. He is the CEO of Gravity Payments. He recently decided to cut his salary from one million to 70000 while raising the salary of all his employees to 70000$ per year. In response to his announcement two of his higher paid employees resigned, feeling unfairly treated because in their mind, they were more deserving of a pay rise.

Isn’t it interesting that some people resent others so much that they would rather lose their own income than working at the same place as other people earning a decent wage?

I wonder what they will do when they go to heaven. After all Jesus was quite clear that not only everyone will be welcome there (and during his time on earth did accept anyone) but also said that the last will be the first. Will they then be able to accept that “unworthy” people are their equals? If not and the choose to leave heaven rather than share it with those they dislike, then the end up in hell until the reconsider. God did not force them to go there he just refused to chase other people out.

As soon as they agree to live with other people they can and will come back.

7. Gary

Ah ha! I see we have something in common. My wife grew up in New Bavaria, Ohio. And I grew up in Chula Vista. Small world.

8. Maria Fergus

OMG, that is fricking awesome !