Update on Polly

blogging

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and thoughts. Polly and I appreciate your support.

Five doctors, a CT scan, a MRI, colonoscopy, endoscopy, and countless blood tests later, two doctors — the surgeon and the gastroenterologist — believe she has ulcerative colitis and the hospitalist believes she has Crohn’s disease. It was interesting to hear each side argue their diagnosis. Biopsies, which are outstanding, will provide a definitive diagnosis. Either way, the initial treatment is the same.

Polly also has a liver/bile duct issue which remains unresolved. We should know more on that issue tomorrow. It may have been exacerbated by the widespread inflammation in her bowel.

As things stand tonight, Polly should be released on Sunday. When she was admitted on Tuesday, I feared she was dying; and left untreated she would have died. Thankfully, the ER doctor quickly narrowed down Polly’s symptoms and determined she needed to be admitted. Her other doctors have provided first-rate care, and, at times, comic relief. The change in Polly’s condition over the past thirty-six hours has been remarkable thanks to modern drugs, especially steroids and antibiotics. I’m grateful we live in a day when such things exist.

Thanks again for your wonderful support.

Bruce

1. Ami

Encouraging update. 🙂 Been thinking of you both, so glad to hear that she’s getting excellent care. Feel better soon, Polly!!!

2. Anne

Thank you so much for taking time to update! Very glad our dear Polly received the care she needed in time ! Sounds like she has a great team helping her navigate these myriad of medical concerns. Wishing you both as much healing and comfort possible in each day to come! Love you both!

3. That Other Jean

Oh, that’s (mostly) good news! I’m delighted that Polly has something treatable, has good doctors and good medications, and is feeling better. Best wishes for a short, boring recovery from whichever disease she has, and a solution to the liver/bile duct problem. Both of you, take care. Thank you for the update.

4. Dell

First off, a belated’welcome back’ from the holidays. You were missed. And a thank you for your kind words about the medical profession that has obviously saved Polly’s life. I’m grateful she’s doing better, despite the long road ahead, but it was also refreshing to hear someone give credit where credit is due rather than hear the typical long tale of high tech medical treatment followed by some well-meaning person giving all the credit for their recovery to ‘answered prayer’ and the interventions of a mythical being in the sky.

5. Becky W

This is great. I’m just going to miss you all. I have surgery at CHWC Monday morning for knee replacement surgery. Anyway tell Polly we are glad the prognosis seems good!

1. That Other Jean

Ouch! Been there, done that. A short, boring, successful recovery to you, too.

6. Melissa Montana

So glad to hear she is better. : )

7. Troy

Thanks for the update. I care about you both.

8. Carmen

Thanks for the update, Bruce. I’ve been wondering. Onwards and upwards from here, eh?

9. ObstacleChick

Thank you for the update, Bruce. It sounds like Polly is receiving good care. Wishing you both all the best.

10. Scott

Good to hear, Bruce. I’m sure it was a tough week, good to hear there is path forward and she is out of danger.

11. Sylvia

Continued healing to Polly. Love and hugs to you both.

12. MJ Lisbeth

I am just catching up on my emails from the past week. I am so glad Polly is getting the care she needs. It sounds like she’s on the road to recovery and a relatively healthy life.

She owes it all to those medical professionals—and you.

13. Maloyo

Thanks for the update, glad Polly is recovering. It is not good to end up with a chronic disease, but in either case they can be managed and a good life will go on. Take care of yourself, too. You can’t take care of Polly if you don’t take care of yourself. Good luck to you both. I stumbled upon your writing one day a couple of years ago and was hooked.

14. Zoe

(((Polly))).

I have been where you are now. Saying this only so you know someone out here understands. <3

15. Zoe

Becky W, all the best with your knee surgery. <3

16. Mary

I hope Polly continues to improve.

Thank-you for keeping us in the loop! Lease remind Polly that we are thinking of her (here in BC) and far and wide ocross the world!

18. oldbroad1

Thanks for the description of the back and forth between the Specialists and the Hospitalist. My Son in law is a Hospitalist (GP’s of the hospital). Specialists tend to view their diagnosis toward their training, while Hospitalists take into account multiple scenarios. Not saying one is better than the other, but it makes for better care IMO. Hope Polly continues to improve and you take care of yourself.

19. DagoodS

Thank you for the update. Yes, we should appreciate modern medicine…may it continually improve

20. Susannah

I’m glad to hear she’s better. Here’s hoping for a complete recovery soon!

21. maryg

glad Polly is recovering. Crohns is chronic but manageable. a family member has crohns and he has managed nicely for over 25 yrs. meds have improved greatly in this time. he is able to work/play as he wants to. only thing he deals w/mainly is lower stamina/energy as the years go by. mainly due anemia, but this is also managed w/b 12 shots and nutrition. grateful for modern docs and meds. wishing you all the best.

22. przxqgl

it’s good to hear that polly is recovering. let her recover completely, and come home soon! hospitals suck!

except when they don’t… 😉

23. Lydia

Thank you for the update! I hope the doctors get her fully diagnosed soon.

24. Sally

Some very welcome good news today. We, too, were very worried. We are all sending good vibes for her recovery.

25. GeoffT

Good to hear Bruce. Expert medical help always beats ‘thoughts and prayers’ but good wishes have their place, and these I send to Polly.

26. kittybrat

Oh, Man! <3 Glad to hear that she is going to be going home.
    Modern medicines have made such things bearable, at least. My granddaughter is going through treatment for Crohn's … more options are available and many of the treatments for ulcerative colitis are the same as for Crohn's.
    Polly is also now going to be eligible for medical marijuana, which has been used to successfully (and without the immune deficiency side effects) to treat Crohn's.

HUGS to you both.

27. Stuart

(Genuinely) good news, everyone!

28. TLC

Whew! Thanks for the update. Hope all continues to go well. Will keep thinking of you and your family, and checking back for more good news.

29. Jacquie

Thanks for the update, Bruce! I check your blog daily and enjoy your writing so much. I’m glad Polly’s condition is treatable and that she has been in good hands. Comic relief also goes a long way. 🙂 Be well!

30. Darcy

Happy to hear that Polly is not dying yet. You sound more cheerful and relieved, too.
    I agree with others that it is a relief to see due credit given to mortals who have worked hard on learning about the human body.
    Do let us know if Polly tries medical marijuana.

31. Carol

Thanks for taking the time to post an update Bruce. And glad to hear Polly has some relief, and that she got (and is getting) excellent care, with some comic relief. Sounds like good doctors and medical staff.
    Will continue to keep all in my thoughts.
    Much love…and good music…
    ~Carol xo

32. cy

I missed reading you for a few days and I’m really, really glad I read this update about Polly’s health first, and not the one about her hospitalization. I get really worried about things like this and it sounds like you were too.

Hope things get steadily better and wishing Polly attentive doctors, good meds, rest, bone broth, etc. etc. —whatever helps.

33. Becky W

I’ve lived in Bryan for 26 years. The medical care has dramatically improved and caught up with the present. I feel confident that Polly’s doctors are doing the best they can. I’m sorry she’s been going through this, Bruce. Seems like getting older has a price.

34. Dale

Bruce, I’m so sorry that I just now saw this. You’re both in my thoughts.

35. Wayne Beamer

Hi Bruce: Thanks for sharing Polly’s improving health news. Good doctors, good drugs and good treatmentss indeed. Much love to you and your family.

36. Michael Mock

So very, very glad to hear that she’s doing better, even if the pair of you aren’t out of the woods yet. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing.

37. Ian for a long time

I’m glad to hear she’s doing better.

A few years ago, I had a bile duct blockage that could have killed me. The pain was intense. I can sympathize with Polly.

Here’s to hoping for a speedy recovery.