Christians Say the Darnedest Things: OMG! Captain Marvel is a Woman

greg morse

As I consider Disney’s new depiction of femininity in Captain Marvel, I cannot help but mourn. How far we’ve come since the days of Sleeping Beauty and Snow White.

The great drumroll of the previous Avenger movies led to this: a woman protecting men and saving the world. The mightiest of all the Avengers — indeed, after whom they are named — is the armed princess turned feminist queen, who comes down from the tower to do what Prince Charming could not.

I do not blame Marvel for inserting the trending feminist agenda into its universe. Where else can this lucrative ideology — which contrasts so unapologetically with reality — go to be sustained, if not to an alternative universe? Verse after verse, story after story, fact after fact, study after study, example after example dispels the myth of sameness between the sexes …Am I nitpicking? It is a movie after all. I wish it were. Instead of engaging the movie’s ideology as mere fiction, a fun escape to another world, we have allowed it to bear deadly fruit on earth. Along with Disney, we abandon the traditional princess vibe, and seek to empower little girls everywhere to be strong like men. Cinderella trades her glass slipper for combat boots; Belle, her books for a bazooka. Does the insanity bother us anymore?

— Greg Morse, Desiring God, Behold Your Queen, March 14, 2019

1. Charles

Two-bit prick trapped in ancient times—and hey—ancient times are my business. He has no business back that far in cultural time. Time and culture move forward on balance—not backwards.

P.S. I have a full copy of “The Great Replacement” if anyone wants a copy. It’s pretty insane.

2. NealR.

LMAO….what!? This is really a stretch, even for those hardcore Calvinist over there in John Piper’s Toyland. What does Captain Marvel have to do with their anti hyper-feminism?

I used to be a big Calvinist back in the day. I used to read stuff from John MacArthur and John Piper on the regular. When I review the material now, I find it most of it comical.

3. ObstacleChick

As a child, I hated Snow White. She cleaned and cooked for a bunch of dirty men, and she fell asleep. Sleeping Beauty did nothing either- stuck in a castle and a deep sleep. Cinderella was a servant in her own home. All these girls had in common was being rescued by a prince. They couldn’t do anything on their own but housework and sleeping. They were examples of how limited females’ resources have been for centuries.

Then the narrative changed with Ariel (Little Mermaid) who struck out on her own to pursue her dreams; Belle (Beauty and the Beast) who gave up her freedom to save her father and she educated the Beast; and my favorite Mulan who dressed as a guy and went to war.

So this pastor getting his panties in a wad over Captain Marvel is a ridiculous, insecure fellow.

As so often happens when i read bat-shit crazy preaching, my mind edits to stay within reason to some extent. Below is my hasty rewrite of Morse’s las paragraph:

I do not blame the pastor for inserting the trending feminist agenda into the church service universe. Where else can he find this lucrative ideology — which contrasts so unapologetically with simple human reality — go to be profits for God, if not to an alternative universe? Verse after verse, story after story, fact after fact, study after study, example after example dispels the myth of belief …Am I nitpicking? Is it just a Sunday outing for the family after all? I wish it were. Instead of engaging the ideology of belief as mere fiction, a fun escape to another world, we have allowed it to bear deadly fruit on earth. Along with Disney, we abandon the traditional, God-ordained patriarchal authority, and seek to empower little girls everywhere to be strong like men. Cinderella trades her Biblical high heels for combat boots; Belle, her Bible for a bazooka. Does the insanity bother us anymore?

(The insanity of belief does indeed bother atheists but we choose to respect humanity, to live and let live because we have learned of the power of human delusion, we has seen it in ourselves.)

5. Trenton

This just in, charisma “news” gets something right for once
    Of course the coments section seems to prove too little too late and reveals the true colors of some of their readers.

If your masculinity is threatened by Captian Marvel, Wonder Woman, or that actor in a dress at the academy awards, you really aren’t a man to begin with, just a boy in a grown up body trying to sit at the adult table. All three of my examples have bigger sets of balls than Morse(even if two of them are fictional). As for princesses I will take Moana or Mulan over Sleeping Beauty any day.

6. Marisa Nordstrom

So, Julie Roys, is taking down James MacDonald. Somebody needed to. But claiming to be a celibate Christian lesbian (she’s got a husband and kids) is not the Christian compromise women should exalt to become the new Marvel. Pretty soon, we’ll have the celibate Christian pedophile offering their services to faculty and leadership offices in order to “relate to people.” Also, the celibate Christian beastiality attractee, the abstaining Christian man/woman hating murderer, abstinent Christian adulterer who views every man or woman or animal in terms of “its” sexual performance. Are you getting my drift here? God’s plan for destroying this morass into eternity is both reasonable and necessary. Being “marginalized” as they grow old and deteriorate is the least of their problems.