Update on Polly

polly gerencser 2013

Last Friday, I rushed Polly to the emergency room. She was admitted to the hospital, and is currently awaiting transfer to Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne. Polly will have a proctocolectomy (removal of the rectum and colon). She will also have a resection of her bladder. Polly will live with a colostomy bag the rest of her life.

Needless to say, we are overwhelmed by all of this, but, in the end, we shall persevere. We don’t know what else to do. Sometimes, life sucks. All any of can do is grit our teeth and face what comes our way. Your continued support is greatly appreciated.

My writing is on hold until Polly has surgery and is on the mend. Your understanding is greatly appreciated. If you happen to be sitting on a guest post or three, now is the time to submit them.

signature

1. Michael Mock

Holy shit! How did I miss this? Also: dammit.

I’ll be worrying about you both. I’m glad it’s not worse, but… sheesh. Y’all deserve better. Here’s hoping for a quick and complete recovery. (I mean, not complete complete, though that would be nice, but as complete as possible under the… oh, you know what I mean.)

2. przxqgl

damn! i hope polly pulls through… hospitals suck, and they’re hell to recover in, but when you need them, they’re so much more reliable than jeezis. my thoughts are with her, and with you. 👍🏽

3. Sally

Poll and the rest of your family are in our hearts. We love you both.

4. Susannah Anderson

Here’s when I sort of wish I were still a Christian. I could pray for her, with the idea that it actually would help, (God willing, and all that.) Anyhow, I’ll be thinking of you two, and hoping that the surgery goes well.

5. Brunetto Latini

Sorry to read this. I hope things work out as well as possible for both of you.

6. Rolinka

I’m so sorry to hear this.
    But I’m absolutely positive that you will persevere!

7. GeoffT

I’m sorry that this has been necessary but the operation is now so routine to these doctors and surgeons that they seem to take them in their stride. I was lucky I didn’t need a stoma bag after my operation for bowel cancer, but I was on a ward where several people had them. The universal view was that you get used to them and you reach a point where you don’t even think about it. A neighbour of mine, hearing of my condition, told me he’s lived with a bag for ten years, and he now even prefers it! He’s about forty and has three kids. Honestly, the bag isn’t a big problem once used to it, and Polly will be back to health as a result of all this. My best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

8. sgl

Sorry to hear how serious it is, and the long-term inconvenience of it all, but glad that it’s not worse. Best wishes for a rapid recovery from the surgeries, and getting back to some stability in your lives. Best wishes…

9. Maria

So sorry. I hope she has a quick recovery.

10. Diane

My best to the both of you.

11. ObstacleChick

Wishing Polly a good recovery and adjustment to a new normal.

12. Scott

Best wishes to Polly on the procedures. Take care of your health.

13. Zoe

Oh Bruce. I shall join in with Michael with worry. My heartfelt love for you both.

14. Sylvia

I’m so sorry . Sending love and hugs your way. Hope the procedure goes well and the recovery is quick.

15. Maloyo

To paraphrase a commercial that runs here in NYC, Polly may have to live with a colostomy bag the rest of her life, but she’ll get the rest of her life. Best wishes to Polly and the rest of your family.

16. S

Hope everything goes well. Take care of Polly and yourself.

17. Ami

Thankful for medical science and doctors/nurses who take care of people.
    Sending all my hope and good thoughts your way, Bruce and Polly.

18. maryg

so sorry to hear this. hoping for a successful surgery and good recovery for polly.

19. Rachael

Best wishes to Polly and you as well, Bruce.

20. Lydia

Thanks for the update. I wish Polly a speedy recovery. So glad to hear you got her to the hospital in time.

21. Caroline

You and your wife sound like tough people who persevere. Wishing you all the best for a quick recovery and better times ahead.
    I’m sorry for the stress you’re currently enduring.

22. maura

one foot in front of the other, and repeat. all you can do, and support one another.

23. maura

one foot in front of the other, and repeat. love one another.

24. Daniel Wilcox

Sorry to hear about Polly’s tragedy.

Hope her surgery goes well.

25. Heather Risberg

Here’s hoping for a quick and healthy recovery. I’m glad you two have each other.

26. Brian Vanderlip

Dear Bruce and Polly, You are wonderful couple, a strong team! You remain in my thoughts daily and I’m wishing smooth sailing through all this!

27. cy

Oh dear, I am hopeful for Polly and you, and yet, I so wish that this was not happening.

Thanks for the updates, I feel connected to your family through reading you blog, and worry about you all. Best wishes.

28. thatotherjean

All possible good wishes to Polly for skilled surgeons and an uneventful recovery. My brother-in-law, a lawyer, has lived with a colostomy bag for decades for his ulcerative colitis. Take care of Polly, but don’t forget to take care of yourself, too.

29. Skylar

Wishing and hoping for a smooth transition and recovery.
    Be strong. Take it one day at a time. And thank you for your writings and posts.

30. Joanna

Sorry for your difficult situation. Best wishes to you and Polly as you move forward.

31. Jo

With Polly in the hospital and her health seriously compromised, Bruce Almighty needs financial help. Send them whatever you can afford, I know they will appreciate the kindness.

1. Grammar Gramma

Jo, You are so right. This is going to really hurt their finances. I doubled my Paetron contribution, as Polly will likely be on short-term disability for six months. I hope others will take a moment to donate a few dollars to a wonderful couple who is really in financial distress.

32. Matt Martin

Bruce, well isn’t that just shit on toast. Best wishes for Polly and yourself.

33. Melissa A Montana

I wish for Polly to have a full recovery. Good luck.