John  Piper Says Holding Hands with God More Pleasurable than Getting Laid 10,000 Times

john piper

John Piper

John Piper, chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary, former pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, and the father of Christian hedonism, had this to say at the 2015 Desiring God Conference for Pastors:

“Look around in your life, in your church. How many Christians do you see bent with all their powers to know God more and more — more truly, more clearly, more sweetly? Or, rather, do you see thousands fighting graduate school sins with a grammar school knowledge of God?”

Some of you might say, ‘Wait, there are as many PhDs in theology who commit adultery as less-educated people.’ To which I would say, ‘Probably more.’ Why is it that people with PhDs in theology commit adultery? They don’t know God.”

“You can read theology 10 hours a day for 40 years and not know God as beautiful and all-satisfying — as the highest treasure of your life. Who cares about knowing God the way the devil knows God? He hates everybody. His knowledge of God helps him hate people.”

“We’re talking about knowing God here in 1 Thessalonians. They don’t know God. They don’t know God for who He is — infinitely valuable, infinitely beautiful, infinitely satisfying — why your soul was made. There are more pleasures at His right hand, more eternal joys in His presence, than you could have in 10,000 sexual trysts.

“The question is, do you know that? If you know that, sin will have lost its dominion in your life,”

No commentary from me. The headline is what came to my mind as I read the news story about Piper’s sermon. I know…so depraved.

040517

1. Connie

This guy is… icky. Thank you for being in the trenches in dealing with these folks. You have my gratitude.

2. Zoe

His theology makes me sick and my attempts at one time to embrace them were just about the end of me. I can’t read or listen to anything he says. 🙁

3. Stephanie

They really are obsessed with sex! Sounds so much like the: “Jesus is your boyfriend stuff.” I knew there was another solution to my single state. Blech…

4. Knoxville Freethinker

He knows this….how?

Better phrased, “I would imagine that there are more pleasures at His right hand, more eternal joys in His presence, than you could have in 10,000 sexual trysts.” Unless he’s really prolific at getting busy….365 days a year for almost 3 decades.

As an aside, it’s a great example of that either/or mindset. Either you find your pleasure in God or you have 10,000 illicit sexual trysts, which will not make you happy. What about a moderate approach where you find pleasure in your beliefs and values (what they may call “god”) AND find pleasure in the routines of life: food, drink, sex, a warm sunny day, laughter, etc?

Hmmmmm. Interesting. I may have to give serious thought to returning to The Lord

6. Infidel753

So he’s saying God gives really good handjobs?

1. Len Koz

Aw, you *beat* me to it…

Rotflmfao!!

7. Debra Baker

What a jerk (pun intended) with unanswered latent homosexual tendencies. Why do so many people take this asshole seriously? Why are we surprised that he spews shit, that’s what assholes do.

8. noel

say what? I Wonder if he would say the exact same thing had his wife not wanted to have sex with him. That’s when I would take this seriously not now that he has had sex and is satisfied.