Gone but Not Forgotten: 22 Years Later San Antonio Calvinists Still Preaching Against Bruce Gerencser

Jose Maldonado Bruce Gerencser Pat Horner

Pastors Joe Maldonado, Bruce Gerencser, and Pat Horner, Somerset Baptist Church, Fall of 1993

In March of 1994, I became the co-pastor of Community Baptist Church in San Antonio, Texas. I have written extensively about my time at Community in the series I am a Publican and a Heathen. My seven-month tenure at Community quickly turned into buyer’s remorse and in late September I resigned and returned to Ohio. Community is a Calvinistic Baptist church, started by Pat Horner — a former Independent Fundamentalist Baptist (IFB) preacher. Horner ruled the church with a rod of iron, using church discipline to “deal” will all those who crossed him. Of course, Community’s disciplinary practices weren’t viewed as a tyrant’s attempt to silence those who refused to play by his rulebook. Instead, church disciplinary meetings were dressed up with Bible verses meant to give the illusion that the church (Horner) was following the teachings of the Apostle Paul and Jesus when errant, unrepentant church members were excommunicated. Numerous members were “disciplined” during my tenure. People were excommunicated for everything from not regularly attending church to refusing to submit to pastoral authority. On the day that I resigned, Horner informed the me that I could not resign without the church’s permission. Taking a “watch me” approach, I packed up my family and moved back to Ohio. As we were pulling out of the church’s compound, Horner was addressing the church about the “Bruce Gerencser problem.” I was excommunicated and to this day I am considered a publican and a heathen (Matthew 18:15-19).

Fifteen years later, I wrote the letter titled Dear Family, Friends, and Former Parishioners. In this letter — which was sent to numerous pastors, family members, and former church members — I detailed the reasons why I was no longer a Christian. Of course, the Calvinistic preachers in San Antonio — men such as Pat Horner, Tim Conway, and Jose Maldonado — saw my letter as “proof” that my excommunication from Community Baptist Church was justified. See! See! See! Bruce Gerencser never was a “real” Christian! One would think that having thrown me out of the church, that would be the end of story. However, what Horner and his fellow Calvinists didn’t count on is me publicly writing about my time in San Antonio. When Horner and the Church excommunicated me in 1994, they could control the story line. Horner could lie about me and there was little I could about it (He told several people that the church I was pastoring in Ohio was filled with unsaved people). The internet, of course, changed things dramatically, allowing me to tell my side of the story to thousands of people. Karma’s a bitch.

I check the search logs on a daily basis, and not a day goes by without someone doing a search for Pastor Pat Horner (2), Pastor Jose Maldonado (2), Pastor Tim Conway (10), Grace Community Church San Antonio (16), Hillburn Drive Grace Baptist Church (5) or Community Baptist Church Elmendorf (7) that brings them to this blog (Google page ranking in parentheses). To combat the influence I might have on people, the San Antonio Calvinists have taken to mentioning me in their sermons. Here are two examples:

In November 2015, Tim Conway, pastor of Grace Community Church, San Antonio preached a sermon titled The Futility of the Mind. In the sermon Conway said:

Futile, vain, empty, pointless, to no avail. And right here in Ephesians chapter 4, futility of mind is the characterization of the Gentiles. That’s how you are no longer to be. Christian, we are to put away futility. No longer. You must no longer. Futility of mind is a picture of people using their mind in ways that are just a waste of time. They are a waste of effort. You want some examples? Brethren, I know this about all of us. We all want to be happy. That is what mankind is striving after. Mankind wants to feel good, and mankind strives after that. You want an example of futility of mind? Futility of mind is man who is forever and always trying to figure out how to be happy while he is an enemy of God. That, folks, is futility. That is vain. That is worthless.

….

Or how about this: The futility that people walking around just spending their time; I was thinking about, some of you know about Bruce Gerencser, who was one of the co-elders down at Community Baptist Church when Ruby and I were down there, who apostatized and basically became an Atheist. What futility to spend your life trying to convince yourself there is no God. You see, these are the futile ways or futility that comes to nothing. Nothing at all.

Conway mentions me at the 25:48 mark.
Video Link

In 2010, Jose Maldonado, pastor of Hillburn Drive Grace Baptist Church, (link no longer active) preached a four-part sermon series about my apostasy.  Here’s a short audio clip from one of the sermons:

If you have the stomach for it, you can listen to Apostasy and It’s Awful Consequences! on the Sermon Audio website.

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

If you would like to read the sermons and not listen to them, here are PDF transcriptions of the sermons.

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Why are preachers such as Conway and Maldonado still preaching about me 22 years later? What is it about my story they find so threatening? Perhaps they just want to use my story as warning or a cautionary tale, as Ralph Wingate, Jr. did in a 2013 sermon at Calvary Baptist Church in Normal, Illinois:

Audio Link

Whatever the reasons, my story remains a burr in the saddle of those who once considered me their colleague or pastor. Numerous prayers have been uttered on my behalf, yet God has not seen fit to save or kill me. I remain a red flashing light reminder of the fact that pastors — men who once preached the unsearchable riches of Jesus Christ — can and do apostatize. And if men of God can lose their faith, well, anyone can.

1. J.D. Matthews

Church of Christ does this kind of thing too. They get hung up on their schisms and rivalries for decades. I remember when I was doing the profit prophet thing, one of the members asked me to preach a Sunday sermon on “the Crossroads movement” which happened in 1979 and birthed the ICOC (a cult branch of the COC.) I just sort of smirked and said “I was THREE at the time” and just kinda went on. Since I was a kid, they’ve been talking about Rubel Shelley, Jeff Walling, Mike Cope, Joe Beam, etc. A few of them, like Carl Ketcherside, have been dead for 30 years, but they still preach sermons on them. I can go on any COC discussion board or group and still find these names being bandied about and preached upon. Hopefully, someday, they can include my name in their bitchfests.

1. Michael Mock

And it isn’t just churches, either. I swear, if I hear one more government scandal referred to as whatever-gate, I’m gonna stab someone. The sixties were fifty years ago. Get. Over. It.

Argh.

1. Becky Wiren

Ha! The Watergate scandal happened 40+ years ago in the 70s. I remember being fascinated with the government train wreck, and how journalists brought the whole thing out. Now, of course, I doubt there is a single journalist who would try to pursue anything like this, since they seem to be bought and paid for.

2. JR

From a non-christians perspective you can say this Pat Horne chap is an overbearing dick. He is an arse hole – lots of us humans are. He is not a special case.
    But if you are fundamentalist christian how do you describe him? People like him turn people off christianity. They are supposed to model jesus to others. So perhaps fundamentalists should describe him as a pawn of satan???

3. Aram McLean

What a futile sermon 😉

4. Geoff

I only listened to snippets, especially the part where he refers to Bruce.

He goes on and on about futility but I get the impression he doesn’t know what the word means. When he says that not believing in hell is futile I really don’t get his point. Surely believing there is no hell is much pleasanter, and certainly less stressful, than believing, so it is hardly futile. And this I can tell him with a level of certainty that is exceeded by nothing else in my mind; there is no hell (well not the sort he means anyhow!).

The futility of futility! Imagine someone not believing in Hell! Or God! Or Heaven or pink elephants in treetops or little silver fairies tickling your earlobes! The futility… When I worked in the emergency department of a provincial psych hospital, I watched a guy run all the way across the waiting room at full speed and dive into a waterfall. The waterfall was a picture on the wall. He hit the partition wall so hard it flexed and threw him halfway across the room, dazed, amazed. He believed in a real waterfall, you see. It was futile to try to explain to him what had just happened. Delusional thinking is delusion thinking is…. What gives me slivers is people who are dim lights to begin with, adopting holy tones and blathering on in judgement. Religion poisons pretty much everything… It does not make one psychotic but it sure feeds delusional thinking. And it makes the dull bully Conway, dangerously dull with scriptural ammunition and a very bad aim. That a certain Gerencser is named and judged by this dud comes to my ears as a special award, a kudo, a trophy. Well done, Bruce. Thank-you for telling the truth you know and not spreading lies.

6. Connie

I find it interesting these men have provided so much real estate in their brain to one Bruce G. Wow. What power you have Bruce!!! LOL

You are living your life – free from their dogma and hubris – while they worry at the fact you escaped. They remind me of a terrior who cornered a squirrel. You may live in pain my friend, but the air you breathe is sweeter because you have claimed you for you.

Riding the wave. Hope life is treating you better.

Personally, I think Tim Conway was better off when he was on the Carol Burnett show when I was little, making us all laugh, rather than bashing you now. Sucks ?

8. DRL

Mr. Gerencser – I know Pat Horner very well. My family was either the third or fourth to join CBC after it’s beginning. This was well before you came along, and well before Joe Maldonado as well. A number of years later, I was living 150 miles away, having left CBC in good standing. However, I was eventually “marked” by Pat and CBC for meeting with a man that had left CBC against Pat’s wishes. I protested this “marking” to no avail, so all I could do was ignore it and hope for better things eventually for Pat and CBC. I was privately contacted by two members of the church that expressed personal regret and who viewed the “marking” action as unfair and untenable.

Unlike you, this sour experience did not serve as a springboard for departing the faith. I carried on. Did some preaching myself, though I was never ordained. Some dozen or so years later, I called Pat and arranged to meet him at home. He admitted he had been hasty, and expressed regret. To my view, Pat had mellowed a great deal, and actually seemed humble. I was happy about his progress and forgave him and bore him no animosity for his earlier error concerning me.

I am older than you, now in my mid 60’s. I’ve not seen Pat for many years. Pat made many mistakes, having pastored too earlier in his Christian experience (in my estimation). He was too autocratic. He did not, at least in the early days, have sufficient ground in Scripture. Pat was like many Christians I have known, myself included – too proud, too smug, and too impatient.

However, for all Pat’s failings, I am certain he is a Christian. I am sorry you are not, and never were. You may win acclaim and kudos from the angry atheists who visit your site and glory in your faithlessness – but to me you are a sad man, a man who lived a Christ-less life in self-deception that ended in disillusionment and bitterness. Unlike these pitiable atheistic men and women who glory in your unbelief, I actually know CBC, Pat and Joe – and though I fully acknowledge the faults and failures of these men – I do not seize on these things as an excuse or pretense to justify any failure on my part. Nor would I pretend that any spiritual lack in myself is due to anyone BUT myself.

Best Regards

You really should do some more reading of my writing. That way you don’t come off as an ill-informed, judgmental ass.

Did Horner actually apologize to you for excommunicating you from the church? Did the church make any attempt to publicly restore your good name?

You admit that you haven’t seen Pat, Joe for years, yet you know them? No you don’t. Like me, you know them at certain point and time in history. All I am doing with this blog is telling my story, much like Maldonado and Conway do when they use me as sermon fodder. The difference is that I want the telling of my story to be a warning, a blaring siren that says stay away from men such these; stay away from their churches.

I pastored for another decade after leaving Community. I remember hearing rumors about Horner telling people I was an unsaved pastor pastoring unsaved people. I wrote Horner several times suggesting that we both made mistakes, and that we both should admit that we had. No response, other than to tell me (once) he had done nothing to repent of.

If you have not done so, please read: https://brucegerencser.net/series/i-am-a-publican-and-a-heathen/ I think you’ll find that I’m very honest about my own shortcomings and culpability over what happened in 1994. I have tried to tell my story openly and honestly, warts and all. There are, however, some things that happened at CBC that I haven’t written about, things that would certainly paint a darker picture of the church and it’s leadership. I don’t write about these things because of the harm they might cause to others.

Community and Horner had little to do with my deconversion. Again, do some reading of my writing and you will be better informed as to the reasons Jesus and I got a divorce.

Your closing paragraph tells me you, Horner, and Maldonado are cut from the same cloth. What saddens me is that you cannot see that you were abused by Horner and CBC; that even now , three decades later, you give them a pass.

I wish you well. Please consider this your first and last comment.

Bruce

2. The angry, pitiable atheistic Zoe who glories in Bruce's unbelief.

I am sorry for you, honestly. May God yet give you light and life. Clearly you have never known either. ~ DRL

Because that’s the first time we’ve ever heard those lines.

Zoe, you clearly do not know the true Lord and clearly never did because if you had you would realize that Bruce never knew what you never knew too; that’s true, hoop-de-do-de-do. Furthermore, all this was planned before time was time and you were you or Bruce was Bruce and so forth. You have to get the official nod to understand any of this very very deep stuff. Once you get the nod (you never got) it all falls into place and you can honestly and truly feel sorry for poor, pathetic Bruce. Dear #POTUS understands it all. You can tell by how he says, ‘The Bible is the most special thing…’

1. Zoe

Clearly 😀

9. David Leach

Mr. Gerenscer – I had long since forgotten about you, but in cleaning up “saved sites” on my computer, I re-discovered your little cesspool of anti-Christian vomitus. You wrote “please consider this your first and last comment.” No, my shallow and easily intimidated friend – THIS will be MY last comment. Print it or not, I don’t care. Respond or not, it’s of no concern to me. I will NOT be returning.

Contrary to your completely made up assertions, I do indeed know Joe. I see him 7 or 8 times a year, and last saw him about 5 weeks ago. I think it’s safe to say I know him far better than you do. It is true I do not see Pat these days, but no matter – your judgement about all Christians appears to be skewed by your festering hatred of all things Christian. Pity, that.

That you consider me an “ill-informed judgmental ass” will not be keeping me up nights. The moral and spiritual assessments of reprobate, morally bankrupt, angry men never moves me much. You hate Christ, why would I expect better than abuse from you? In fact, I do not. The ugliness and darkness you hid as you feigned Christian faith is no longer concealed. You dropped your disguise when via some dark inner prompting, or preference you decided to quit pretending. So, you are free (for a season) to spew your absurd and putrid nonsense as pleases you.

You say ” I want the telling of my story to be a warning,” In a small, sad way your wish is granted. You do serve as a warning. Your departure is a grim reminder of the veracity of I John 2:19. You are a warning against spiritual smugness, pretentiousness and presumption. You are an object lesson of reprobation. I shall seize on your example, as God gives opportunity – of how deceived the human heart is capable of being. This is not gloating or some childish tit-for-tat – indeed, I am grieved for you, for your family, for the sin and destruction you leave in your unholy wake. Yours is a sad, tragic story. No matter how bitter, and mean-spirited and nasty you are – I am indeed sorry for you. How dreadful will eternity be for you.

As for the rest of your description of your behavior in reference to Pat Horner – I’m not all that interested. I am not an apologist for Pat Horner, before his own Master, he stands or falls. Nor do I need to be persuaded concerning his ability to make mistakes…I am well aware. Pat jumped into public ministry way too early in his Christian life, and his immaturity did not serve him well. But Pat, warts and all, is a Christian. When we spoke last, many years ago, the past was behind us. All was forgiven. As an anti-Christ, I understand genuine forgiveness is not a primary concern of yours. Too bad for all concerned – especially you.

Finally, you indicate you and your Jesus (whoever that “Jesus” might be) got a “divorce.” Well friend, it seems to me that you and the true Jesus were never married….no matter your complaint, objection and obfuscation to the contrary.

Now know I will not again reply. I will never again visit this creepy little anti-Christian, anti-God blog. Rail against me as pleases you. Mock me among your equally pathetic God-hating companions. It’s of no consequence.

PS – If I do “give Horner a pass,” I would say that is in keeping with the Master, eh? You may remember this verse from your days playing at the faith and public ministry:

Matthew 6:14-15 “For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

The Lord have mercy on your blighted soul.

*Sigh*

It’s Gerencser, by the way.

1. Zoe

He’ll probably be back.

Yeah, Christians and the the Christian USA has been very good at this one! I guess that explains why USA is the most militant and dangerous country on earth and threatens the well-being of the whole planet, huh, David Leach? It astounds me how utterly blind you choose to stay to the the drones of war, the hatred of foreigners, the basic concern for bipeds. Your words demonstrate that you have no intention to fight wrong but support it and feel sorry for Bruce because he cannot hate properly as you appear to hate. I for one am content to see the last of you. Have a glorious trip into self-destruction, into your double-think demise. Jesus sure saved you. He guides you like a drone operator guides the missiles to harmothers you know nothing of and could care less about. Your love sounds like hate to me, Mr. Leach. Can you fathom that with any biped logic or do you have to dump me under your Sunday School bus?

4. GeoffT

This David Leach is a fool, an embarrassing example of what happens to the mind when it becomes infected by religious superstition. What on earth is the point in coming to an atheist forum, something I like to think is based on reason, and then to start trumpeting ‘Christ’ (who perhaps never existed) and dishing out bible verses? By all means come and argue from reason; perhaps you have non-anecdotal evidence of the efficacy of prayer, or can demonstrate the superiority of religious morality over secular morality (just joking, of course he can’t!). But to come and start quoting the bible is ridiculous, just as it would be ridiculous for someone to quote the Book of Mormon or the Q’ran to you, and expect you to be convinced.

Doesn’t matter that he’s not coming to visit any longer, as others can read his silly nonsense.

He’s pissed that I wrote about a friend of his; that’s the real issue. He covers up his motives with heaps of Bible Bullshit.