Cindy Schaap, Daughter of Jack Hyles, Divorces Convicted Felon Jack Schaap

cindy and jack schaap 30 years of marriage

Cover of book written by Cindy Schaap about her wonderful marriage to Jack Schaap. Cindy is the daughter of Jack Hyles.

As most of you know, Jack Schaap, former pastor of First Baptist Church, Hammond, Indiana, is serving a 12 year sentence in federal prison for having sexual relations with a minor. (a girl who was a member of the church and Schaap was counseling her)  For more information on Jack Schaap, please read the Chicago Magazine article, Let Us Prey: Big Trouble at First Baptist Church. You can also read the letters Schaap sent to his victim here.

As anyone who spent any time in an IFB church can tell you, divorce is forbidden. The thinking goes…God hates divorce and God intends for marriage to be between one man and one woman for life.  While IFB church members do divorce from time to time, it is not a common occurrence.

For months now, rumors have been flying over the marriage of Cindy Schaap and Jack Schaap. Are they still married? Did they get a divorce?  Well, wonder no more, you who are looking for the latest dirt on the Hyles/Schaap crime family. According to a document sent to me today, on May 28, 2014, Cindy Schaap was granted a divorce from Jack Schaap.

cindy schaap divorce

cindy schaap divorce pg 2

Let me be clear, I have no problem with Cindy Schaap divorcing her husband. No one should be forced to remain married to someone they no longer want to be married to. Whatever her reasons, it is her decision, end of story. What interests me is how her divorce will be “explained” within the Kingdom of Jack Hyles and the broader IFB church movement.

Later this week, I plan to write a post about marriage and divorce and how IFB churches handle divorce.

1. Stephanie

Good for her…

1. Dave

I taught Cindy in school. Very sorry to hear all this mess.

2. Troy

The Chicago article was very interesting to me. It really showed me the origin of the IFB and also why IFB has all the same flavor to it, despite they eponymous “independence”.

3. kittybrat

I am so glad she is divorced from that cad. Now, if she can divorce herself from that whole cultish hell… Oh, I hope she can.

4. Nancy

It had to be very hard for Cindy to go through this horrible experience, losing the church where she was raised, feeling as if she betrayed it and her dad and she did not, and losing her husband and the love of her life. My heart goes out to her and her family and my prayers are that she can put all of this behind her, move forward and have a happy and bright future. I know her heavenly Father loves her and is caring for her and that she is finding comfort in Him.

1. Rick

What a piece of crap you are. The latest dirt? You gossiping Jezebel.

Rick, the term gossiping Jezebel tells your ugly heart story, you patriarchal bully asshole.

5. Rev Jack Wilson

Divorce is allowed in the Bible in cases of infidelity. She was in the right.

1. Jim

Simple. Concise. Factual. Spiritually sound.

Thank you, Reverend, for pointing out the truth.

A “truth”, by the way, that is considered by many Christians to be a misunderstanding of the text.

1. L. Rinehart

Amen, Bruce! The so-called ‘exception clause’ is absent in the passages on divorce in Mark and Luke. It is found only in Matthew because that is the gospel written to the Jews, who had the custom of betrothal. “Except it be for fornication” applies only to breaking a legal engagement, not ending a marriage. That’s why it does not say, “except it be for adultery.” A prime example would be the case of Joseph and Mary. They were legally wed at the time of their betrothal, or engagement. Had Mary been guilty of fornication, Joseph could have scripturally legally ‘divorced’ her, as their marriage had not yet been consummated. But marriage becomes “‘Til death do us part” after that. Marriage is not a contract between two people; it is a covenant between a couple and God. Yes, it is a very hard truth, as the disciples noted. My heart breaks for Mrs. Schaap on so many levels.

1. Rick Bagwell

Marriage by Contract signing is permitted divorcement. Marriage on BIBLICAL terms is another matter. Everyone gets married by Contract with the Government that’s why the Government grants the divorce. Which God do we actually serve? The God of Government?

Well, I am an atheist, so I worship neither your God or government. I do, however, worship my wife.

3. John Arthur

So Mary committed adultery with the Holy Ghost.

2. Phillip Holbrook

So, you’re an apostate…. yes, that really makes you an expert, doesn’t it?

No, a lifetime of study and work makes me an expert.

2. Phillip Holbrook

Amen Jack!

1. John Arthur

So you’re a supporter of the serial adulterer, Jack Hyles. Some Holy Ghost that guides you.

6. Wylma Harmon

It’s sad when divorce happens. I belong to an IFB church but I don’t go along with them lock, stock and barrel.I read other translations.But I just want to say thank you because I believe there is a cult of Jack Hyles. He’s mentioned in the same breath at times with God.

7. Tori

Divorce is not forbidden, actually scripture makes parameters of when divorce is acceptable and one includes adultery. I don’t blame her for divorcing him – he shamed the vows he made and he shamed the trust she had in him. I pray for her and the rest of the Schaap family that they can reach peace and retain their faith.

8. Kathleen

I too belong to an IFB church, and went through a divorce myself several years ago. Yes, it is frowned on in that we shouldn’t take our marriage lightly or the ending of it. The scriptures are clear on when a divorce is acceptable, Biblical grounds if you will. Mine fell under this area, and I have since remarried. I’m still a very active member of my church, in fact I work on staff as a full time secretary. I was never asked to resign nor leave the church, my church family supported me and encouraged me throughout my difficult journey.

9. John

It seems like I’d heard a few months back that Cindy had found a good home in a good church in the area, not FBC. I think maybe she and Linda have been through enough at FBC. I briefly attended HAC in the late 80s and attended FBC many times when Schaap was a teacher and counselor there. It was a bit cultish, in retrospect. I saw things in Schaap that I did not add up until later that now make complete sense. Having a better understanding of what went down there now than then, I am happy for Cindy. What a mess.

10. King

Divorce is not “forbidden” in IFB churches. The Bible is clear that divorce is permitted for adultery. Which Schaap is guilty of. Please stop lying about IFB churches. Remember, you will be held accountable for every word….

Nice try. Divorce is forbidden in many IFB churches. The Bible is not at all clear about when a divorce is permitted and when it is not. According to your personal interpretation, divorce because of adultery is permitted. Other IFB Christians and pastors think differently. Put 100 IFB preachers in a room and you’ll end up with numerous opinions about marriage, separation, and divorce, with each person believing that their interpretation of the Bible is “clear”.

So, please show me where I have said one lie about IFB churches. You do know that a differing opinion is not a lie, right? I suspect I’ve attended and preached at a lot more IFB churches than you have. I also suspect that I know a hell of a lot more IFB preachers than you do. My writing about the IFB church is not mere opinion. I know what I’m talking about. You can either accept that, or not, but it doesn’t change the fact that I know, based on a lifetime of experience, what I am talking about.

You do know I’m an atheist, right? Threatening me with future accountability before a fictitious God really has no effect on me. I fear my wife far more than I do “God”.

If you’d like to talk about my story and the IFB church, please let me know. I’m more than willing to do so.

1. tim

Mr Bruce I have one question for you… why are you so bitter ? You obviously have joined into the sconer realm. Hope you can come up with some good biblical forgiveness for others and yourself

Tim, a board certified clinical psychologist, reads one post written by the evil atheist, Bruce Gerencser, and concludes Gerencser is a bitter man. *sigh*

Since when is being board certified any indication of competence? And regarding bitterness, it is a blessed thing, ever so human and real and important and necessary. Shaming and blaming are not necessary but far more a part of Baptist churches… hmm, I wonder if repressing bitterness and other human feelings releases the need to shame and blame. Do you know a competent doctor I could chat with about that?

2. Zoe

What’s wrong with being bitter tim? (Not saying Bruce is bitter.) I see you are a psychologist. Wouldn’t your method here be one of shutting down conversation rather than opening it up? Sitting across from you in a session, I would ask you why you are so quick to jump to the bitterness conclusion.

If one is bitter could that not be a stepping stone on the road to healing and recovery. For those who have been abused, if they weren’t bitter I’d wonder if they were truly in touch with their own emotions. Why come at them with an accusing tone and shut down conversation? So what if they are bitter. Let them be bitter. Let them talk about why they are bitter? You sound like you’d shut down the conversation before it even began. Seems odd to me that as a psychologist you’d sound so judgemental.

Are you a Christian psychologist? You mention biblical forgiveness. Can forgiveness only arise out of a biblical mindset?

Most of us have heard the “you are bitter” commentary/judgment many many times. Did you think you’d be the first to bring that to our consciousness?

2. William

Well i think all Baptist church on indiana should accept. LGBTG community in there church there nothing wrong about gay people at all if gay people want to join a Baptist church without being denied. Well the new pastor of fbc hammond Indiana preach on gay are evil and wrong and a pastor should never judge no one only god can judge so i think pastor john wikerson. Should be fired or resign fron being pastor at fbc hammond

3. Eric

Ill speak to you ANYTIME about Jesus! 502-619’3752. Best regards!

Eric KY

*sigh*

1. Eric

Bruce, what happened my brother? Jesus is still on the throne.

I am not your brother, nor your friend.

This is your last comment.

3. Eric

Comment deleted.

4. J.D. Matthews

Somebody tell Jesus to get off the throne already. I gotta shit, and he’s been wasting all the toilet paper.

4. Preacher

So you gave up the faith you once believed in? Hmmm, something happend in your life! So sad to hear that!

Yes, what happened is that I walked away from Christianity. No secrets here, no skeletons in the closet, no bodies buried underneath the communion table. I once believed and now I don’t. I am quite happy to be numbered among those Evangelicals believe are headed hell.

2. Geoff

Preacher, you said

“So sad to hear that!”

If you’d said ‘glad’ I’d have agreed. As it is, from what I’ve read by, and about, Bruce, it seems that it is the best decision he ever made (after marrying Polly).

3. Zoe

So you have faith Preacher and gave up the non-faith you once believed in? Hmmm, something happened in your life! So sad to hear that!

1. daniel

Proves Once Saved Always is a lie.

Bruce! I had no idea Polly had become dangerous! Do you have any judo or karate, my friend?

12. Sandy

Could it be they divorced because it allowed them to put all their assets in her name only and protect them financially from pending litigation?

Mat 19:9 seems to have clearly made exceptions in the case of marriage infidelity.
    “I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”
    No matter how you interpret it, there is indeed a “wiggle” room here.

14. Mr. George Christian Carter

marriage proposal deleted

15. Chuck

Steve you have the wrong BIBLE that’s not what it said

1. Jeff

Interpretation of that verse varies, both fornication and adultery are sexual immorality. Either way, Cindy Schaap has every right to divorce and I wish her and her family well.

16. ANONYMOUS

Yet dont forget this, pray for the one who is in prison also, for Jesus tells us
    this. I was in prision and you visted me not. Pray for the family and pray for the victims in this. Also pray for rhe one who sits behind bars. For Jesus would have it this way.

Is this prison thing a comment on marriage??? If so, then I commend your sense of layered humor, ANONYMOUS in caps. I think I actually get it! And the pray for one that sits behind bars! That’s the bartender, right? Wow.

17. Chris W.

If all Baptist churches would rightly divide their King James Bibles, we’d have a different world.

Or, to put it another way…if everyone believed and interpreted the Bible as YOU do…we’d have a different world. I can only imagine how different THAT world might be.

18. Chris W.

“Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” 2Peter 1:20 KJ

Chris,

Do you seriously think that your peculiar interpretations of the King James Bible are from God and are not your personal private conclusions about the text? I hope you will really think hard about this question.

Bruce

19. Juju Bees

What nobody is pointing out is the Cindy Schaap was gone ALL the time. Her husband Jack was gone ALL the time. Who was meeting their needs? Yes, Jack fell – and is disgustingly gross – but his wife did not help the situation. She never wanted to go with him – she wanted to book her OWN conferences. Yeah. She writes the book “A Wife’s Purpose” and then divorces Jack when she said she would always stand by him. LOVELY –

Talk about sin – it’s sin on all sides. If he did not want to change – fine – divorce him – but know this, Cindy was just as responsible for her lack of wanting to be Jack’s “wife” in every sense of the word. Just sayin!

So, what you are saying is that Jack Schaap’s wife is partially to blame for him having sex with the teenager he was counseling. *sigh*

1. Juju Bees

Oh yes – she is. Believe me – it takes two.. .and if you don’t believe that, then I have a brooklyn bridge to sell you!

He was not keeping her happy, and she was not keeping him happy. It was his OWN fault for having sex with another woman (especially a teenager) but where was Cindy when he was “counselling” this girl? A pastor’s wife, not included in her husband’s counselling of any “female” should be taboo!

So yes – she is to blame and he is to blame. A marriage is a “partnership.” He sinned and he got what he deserved!!!!! So now she is compounding the sin by the divorce?? REally?? She didn’t try to work it out with him? She didn’t try to find out if he needed spiritual counselling, etc? Did she even ask him if he still wanted to be married to her? If not – then boot his hiney out the door. But did she even “try?”

Such a mess!

1. Geoff

Look Juju, why are you called after an African god?

No matter. You miss the point. Dear Cindy could have been shagging the entire US airforce (though the suggestion is that any transgression on her part was at her husband’s door) but that does not exonerate her husband in any way. He’s a loathsome piece of flotsam who used his position to exploit underage female church members. There’s no excuse for that, and no amount of ‘god’s grace’ or ‘forgiveness’ gets him off the hook.

Reminding me of the dumb Canadian judge, now ‘retired’ who snapped at a rape victim: Why couldn’t you just keep your legs closed together?
            Blame and shame go deep and people say ridiculous things, juju, to keep their lids down tight so that they don’t have to face the truth.

20. Gene S.

Bruce, I feel I must challenge your exasperation, Men who are ‘driven’ to the level of ‘high leadership’ that Schapp achieved usually have extreme sexual drives. The 1st Jack was a case in point, if you believe the ‘back door’ rumors. The nonsense of ‘celestial marriage’ they postulated, giving them a ‘get out of jail free card’ from their marital responsibilities is a desperate mental / spiritual gymnastic that comes from someone delusional and probably not in a fulfilling marriage relationship. On another point – I’m curious about what circumstances led you to cast off your fundamental beliefs and cast yourself into the agnostic arena. You are an intelligent man, and I can respect your view points with the hope that I can counter your arguments with intelligent, spiritual reasoning. If not for you, but for the next person who may tread the path you went through. I am a HAC graduate and at a place where I don’t cast accusations, only look for valid, responsible answers.

Please read the https://brucegerencser.net/why/ After doing so, if you have any questions I will gladly answer them.

Do you have empirical evidence for your claim that Jack Schaap, Jack Hyles (David Hyles, Bob Gray?) have extreme sex drives? What exactly is “extreme” sex drive? Is this “extreme” sex drive justification for Schaap’s criminal behavior? Are you saying this is a mitigating factor?

21. Renewedhope

Why do as humans insist on feeding on other people’s garbage? Don’t we have enough things to worry about in our own lives? Or is that why we look at other people’s garbage so we don’t have to see our own?

I see nothing on this page that would help anyone be a better person. It makes me so sad.

Yet, here you are commenting. I’m so glad Jesus sent you by to tell us what to write and read.

2. John Arthur

Hi Renewed Hope,

Are Christian pastors meant have sex with a minor? Don’t these pastors preach against this sort of thing (Of course they do)? shouldn’t congregations be warned when these things happen and the church tries to cover it up? IFB churches seem to be involved in scandals (far too often) and shouldn’t the hypocrisy of the leadership be exposed?

When churches take the high moral ground, shouldn’t their failings be exposed? After all, don’t they have the Holy Spirit living in them? Can’t the Holy Spirit protect them from these practices? Isn’t the fruit of the Spirit love, joy and peace etc.? Doesn’t love do no wrong to one’s neighbour? So does love commit sex with a minor?

Don’t attempts at cover ups by conservative churches to whitewash such practices, mean that people who are interested in human welfare, like Bruce, have every right to expose them. And why is it that often such practices are only admitted by these authoritarian Fundamentalist churches, once these evils are exposed? I suggest you have a close look at the website called “Stop the Baptist predators”.

Shalom,

John Arthur

22. Samuel navarrete

I am sorry to hear that bro.schaap
    Got thrown in prison for 22yrs

It was 12 years. You don’t think he deserved a prison sentence for what he did?

23. Stephen B.

God hates divorce.

24. David

Why is no one questioning why this decree is in NC and that the parties are shown as NC residents?

25. kevin

IBF huh? Why did you decide to use an acronym to lump all Independent Churches in one group. You know that they are not the Southern Baptists or Catholics or LDS, you know that right. I would ask you to make a correction on this moot point you have made. I hope its not intentionally done, just irrationally put together. What are you qualifications to write about all churches views on divorce? Why not look at what the bible says. I will remain you that independent churches operate as a group as they do not often take their doctrine from the declarations of a man, most independent churches, regardless of the denomination operate on those principles. I hope you will understand and correct the inaccuracies contained in what I have read here today. Otherwise you run the risk of providing false information to others which they may use to make a pre concieved judgment. I’m sure you don’t want that on your shoulders.

*sigh*

IFB not IBF.

IFB=independent Fundamentalist Baptist church movement.

I am an expert on the IFB church movement.

I stand by everything I have written on the movement.

Bruce

2. Geoff

” What are you qualifications to write about all churches views on divorce? Why not look at what the bible says. I will remain you that independent churches operate as a group as they do not often take their doctrine from the declarations of a man, most independent churches, regardless of the denomination….”

Yet more evidence of the totally inconsistent and, much of the time, incomprehensible nature of ‘the bible’. When will people stop saying ‘look at what the bible says’? What they really mean is ‘look at what I want the bible to appear to be suggesting’.

There are some 42000 Christian denominations. Each one insists it is right, and only it. The bible teaches you to hate gays, but also teaches that homosexuality is fine. It says nothing about abortion, yet abortion is almost universally opposed. In short, it is of no assistance in offering even the faintest guidance to our modern day to day existence. Bruce was up to his neck in this for decades, pastoring numerous churches. So his opinion is hardly one to be dismissed lightly.

26. Kevin

I went to Hammond Baptist High School with Cindy, she was nice, but this was a cult church! Feel free to email me if you want more info, not gossip, just truth.

27. TONY LOPEZ CISNEROS

ALL YOU CHILDREN OF THE DEVIL (LIKE KEVIN & ETC. ABOVE) ARE FULL OF DUNG UNLESS &-OR UNTIL YOU ALL GET +++BORN-AGAIN+++ SPIRITUALLY ACCORDING TO THE TRUE KING JAMES HOLY BIBLE ala ST. JOHN CHAPTER THREE (3) VERSES 1-16 ! ! ! ! ! ! !