MERRY CHRISTMAS From the Atheist Santa

bruce santa 2018 (2)

I love Christmas. I even say “Merry Christmas.” I thoroughly enjoy the holiday season, and I might even listen to a few religious Christmas songs. At the Gerencser home, Christmas is all about family, good food, booze, gift-giving, lights, and a Lionel train circling our fresh-cut Fraser fir-tree. Tomorrow is our family Christmas. Our children, their spouses/girlfriends, and our twelve grandchildren will all be here if the fates allow.

Surprisingly, Christmas means more to me now and is more enjoyable than it ever was as a Christian. No dutiful sermonette before gifts are open; no boring reading from the Gospel of Luke; no verbose prayers reminding everyone that Jesus is the real reason for the Season.  While some in attendance still believe in Jesus, others do not. What we all agree on, however, is the importance of family and of love. Oh, we don’t always like each other, and we can fuss with the best of them, but we never forget how blessed we are to have each other.

I plan to take a break from writing until January 2. Polly and I continue to battle health problems, so we hope over the next two weeks unwind a bit, visit Polly’s parents (her mom has been given six months to live and her dad is slowly fading into the background of life), and maybe take a couple of day trips IF the damn Sun ever deigns to shine again in rural northwest Ohio. It’s winter in Ohio, and one thing seems constant: cold, dreary, gray days.

I hope you and yours have a blessed holiday season.

Bruce

bruce santa 2018 (1)bruce santa 2018 (3)

1. That Other Jean

Hey, you make a great Santa! Merry–entirely secular–Christmas to you and yours, and a Happy New Year. I hope your health improves over the break. Have fun this holiday season, and we’ll see you in 2019.

2. Anne

Much love and gratitude to you Santa Bruce for all the gifts of encouragement, laughter and good reading you’ve given this year once again! May you and the beautiful Polly have the happiest of holidays with some good rest to greet the new year! Enjoy a very merry Christmas season with your awesome family!

3. Becky W

Wonderful picture Bruce! I hope you and Polly have a very Merry Christmas! Love to you all.

4. GeoffT

Merry Christmas Santa!

5. ObstacleChick

Bruce, I love your Santa photos!!! Your grandchildren must live having a real live Santa for a granddad! Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

(Funny,last night my husband and I were driving to the airport to pick up our daughter for her break from college and he asked what we were celebrating at Christmas time as we are atheists. I said that for me, it is s traditional cultural family holiday where we give gifts, have beautiful decorations, and enjoy each other’s company.)

6. Zoe

Merry Christmas Bruce, Polly and family,

7. Carmen

Have the merriest Christmas ever, Polly and Santa baby!! 🙂

Best wishes, Bruce, from the hills of North Okanagan, British Columbia.

9. Autumn

Merry Christmas and happy solstice. In honor of the returning sun I send you this, it really should be played as a holiday song

10. Scott

Have a wonderful holiday season and enjoy the break. Best wishes on the health and family stress.

Live Long and Prosper,

Scott

11. Elaine

Have a great holiday season, Bruce and I hope you find the rest and refreshment that you need.

12. Kathleen

All the best to you and yours! Hope your health improves and you have a lot of fun with your family.

Thank you for all your articles and insight.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year

13. przxqgl

where did you get your red fedora? i’ve been searching for one for years, and the closest i’ve been able to come is a plastic one from a costume store…

The Village Hat Shop https://www.villagehatshop.com/

1. przxqgl

than que! 👍😉

14. Trenton

Merry christmakwanzakah. May you enjoy your vacation remember to light the yule log, put saturn back in saturnalia and all the fun stuff everyone does around this time of year.

15. Ann

Have a good party, enjoy your time off. Drink some hot toddys to get rid of the galloping crud and a wonderful New Year to you and Polly and the kids.

You too, brother!!

(The no good double crossing sun doesn’t shine much here either anymore!) 😩

17. Stuart

Have a fantastig holiday!

18. Neil

Have a very happy Christmas with your family, Bruce.

19. Michael Mock

You do make a very convincing Santa Claus. Here’s hoping the various health problems clear up, and the weather as well.

20. Stephanie

What neat photos! A good holiday to you and your family…..

21. cy

Looking good, Santa!

Hope you have a nice holiday and your health— and Polly’s health— improves. Getting old can take a lot of work.
    Or, as my ninety-something dad has been saying for decades, “You have to make adjustments.”

I’ve been making a lot more “adjustments” lately!

22. Henriette

Love, joy and health to you and your loved ones, Bruce! You’re a tremendous human being <3.

23. Ian for a long time

Merry Christmas. Enjoy your time off. I hope the rest helps you feel better.

Thanks for the great year.

24. Troy

Happy Christmas and Merry Tyr’s day as well.
    Paypal didn’t let me leave a message during my recent donation so I’ll say it here: “Merry Christmas Bruce, Keep on blogging, and thanks for the blog.”

25. Pingback: MERRY CHRISTMAS From the Atheist Santa – FairAndUNbalanced.com

26. Gene Stephens

Bruce, I hope you and all your family have a merry Christmas. While I have never met you, I consider you a friend. You and your blog helped me make the transition out of evangelical Christianity, and I will always be grateful to you for that. I hope that you and Polly get some good rest over the next two weeks as you enjoy the holidays and take a break from blogging. FYI, I lived in Northern Ohio (Akron and Cleveland) for twelve years, and my eighteen years of growing up were in Seattle, Washington, so I know what it is like for the December sun to disappear for days at a time.

27. Amy B

You really look like Santa. Have a Merry Christmas!

28. Daniel Wilcox

Hope you and Polly will soon be feeling better.

As for your picture as Santa, I’ve a few puns for you: Yule be sorry that you X’dmass and no longer prey like Trump Christians. Yes, I know that you Deck the hells with folly…
    Hark, Angles that yule continue to get from Joy in the world…

29. MJ Lisbeth

I hope you and Polly get good health for Christmas and the New Year.

If anyone deserves a Merry Christmas, it’s you two!

Thanks!

30. Justine Valinotti

You’re the Santa I’d want at my party!

Merry Christmas to you and Polly!