Quote of the Day: A Strange God by Mark Twain

mark twain

Strange…a God who could make good children as easily as bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; mouths Golden Rules and forgiveness multiplied seventy times seven and invented Hell; who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man’s acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him!

— Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger

1. Lynn123

Exactly! Love Twain.

2. ObstacleChick

Accurately stated. I am still amazed so many of us believed in this god for so long, and that so many still do.

3. Trenton

I wish they had taught me this quote at school. However that would contradict their message of America being a “christian” nation

4. Angiep

Mark Twain: One of the 5 people, living or dead, I would choose to have dinner with.

5. Appalachian Agnostic

It makes me wonder why all the churches aren’t preaching against Mark Twain. If anything, he seems to be admired by Christians. I thought of this while watching “It’s a Wonderful Life” for the umpteenth time last week. The irony of Clarence the angel giving George a book of Twain’s writing never gets mentioned in discussions of the movie.

1. Lynn123

Maybe a lot of people aren’t aware of his other writings

Awesome, bro! Gonna have to steal, lol

7. Daniel Wilcox

Another of Clemens’ bitterly satiric insights.

I still remember reading a number of such anti-Christian commentaries by him when I was a Christian young adult,
    but most of them didn’t upset me as a Christian since I agreed with Clemens’ keener ethical insights.

The best one by far was when Huck was wrestling with his conscience about whether or not to do his moral duty and turn in Jim.