Evangelical Neil Kennedy recently wrote an article about how men can can keep themselves pure. While Kennedy says that men are culpable for their sexual peccadilloes, it’s clear from his article that he places most of the blame on women. After all, women are predators out to destroy men.
When societies lose the directional parameters of purpose, they cast off all restraint. The 1960s sexual revolution ushered in a degrading of America’s young people. Now, the first generation of men who grew up with unlimited access to pornography are suffering unexpected collateral damage—porn-induced erectile dysfunction (PIED).
With unrestrained access to pornography, and semi-pornographic images blasted at us daily, how can a man keep himself pure? What’s the answer? Do we put the burden on women? Cover them head to toe in black sheets? Vail their eyes?
Solomon, a man who knew women far better than most, gives us powerful principles for keeping one’s self pure:
- Pay attention to wisdom (Proverbs 7:1-5). Wisdom is like a sister that gives you insider information about women. She says, “Listen, I’ll protect you from an affair with an immoral woman and her deceptive flattery.”
- Keep your distance from seductive women (Proverbs 7:6-8). Sin requires proximity. Create boundaries.
- Don’t give an ear to seductive words (Proverbs 7:5) Don’t allow a woman to whisper in your ear.
- Go home after work (Proverbs 7:9). Men make bad decisions when they don’t have direction.
- Bounce your eyes from the brazen look (Proverbs 7:13). Follow the example of Job. Make a covenant, a spiritual promise, with your eyes to not look lustfully. We’ve all seen the guy who looks googly-eyed at a woman. Imagine if you saw a man looking that way at your wife or daughter. Don’t be that guy!
- Know the difference between lust and love (Proverbs 7:23). Lust is manic, obsessive, and uncontrolled desire to take something or someone. Lust takes while love gives. God is love—God is Holy; therefore, love must be holy. Contrary to popular culture, love is confined to righteousness established by God.
- Honor another man’s wife (Proverbs 7:19). We should practice a man-code. Job recognized that looking upon a woman lustfully opened the door for his wife to serve another man (Job 31:10).
- Don’t be persuaded (Proverbs 7:21). Seduction comes from flattery. Flattery is a type of witchcraft. It’s a manipulation by deception.
- Understand that impurity is a trap (Proverbs 7:22). Men often say, “I’m a grown man, I am free to do what I want.” In reality, sexual sin is addictive and is a trap that enslaves men.
- Remember that the immoral woman will embarrass you (Proverbs 7:26). You will be victimized. You’re better than sexual sin. Your purpose is greater than fantasies.
- Consider that the immoral woman will escort you to your death (Proverbs 7:27). There’s nothing to gain in your life in the secret chambers of porn.
Watch out for those Jezebels, men. They are out to get you!
Well of course women are to blame for porn. Wasn’t Eve the first porn star?
Zoe rolls her eyes.
“There’s nothing to gain in your life in the secret chambers of porn.”
WTAF does this even mean?
And this… “unexpected collateral damage—porn-induced erectile dysfunction (PIED)”
I’ve been trying to use that acronym and add some words to make it ‘PIED PIPER’ to help this poor guy get the word out in a catchy new way but I’m a little slow today.
Dumb-bunny talk from a Christ-bonked, sort-of male. Of course women are to blame! And the culture of protest and freedom of the sixties that brought down the false, stupid war of Vietnam that killed and maimed thousands upon thousands of American soldiers and many many more times that number of Vietnamese.. Every little direction that is not clearly out of the blinded church is why we have the monster Trump and our present conundrum….. sure, sure. But.
I’m sorry to be blunt, rude but WHAT A DINK-BRAIN you are Neil. Get a freakin’ life. Plant a garden and let it teach you what life is about… Close the black book, you wonker…. Try some therapy, just try a bit, you lame-brain. You are some damaged goods…
Great comment Brian!!!