Songs of Sacrilege: Hand of the Almighty (God will F**k You Up) by John Butler

This is the second installment in the Songs of Sacrilege series. This is a series that I would like readers to help me with. If you know of a song that is irreverent towards religion, makes fun of religion, pokes fun at sincerely held religious beliefs, or challenges the firmly held religious beliefs of others, please leave the name the song in the comment section or send me an email.

Today’s Song of Sacrilege is Hand of the Almighty (God Will Fuck You Up) by Australian John Butler. Warning! This song contains numerous swear words.

Video Link

Lyrics

Oh, sinner, do not stray From the straight and narrow way For the Lord is surely watching what you do If you approach the Devils den Turn round dont enter in Lest the hand of the almighty fall on you.

Hell fuck you up (hell fuck you up) Yes, God will fuck you up If you dare to disobey his stern command. Hell fuck you up (hell fuck you up) Dont you know hell fuck you up So you better do some prayin while you can.

Long ago a man named Lot Had a wife he thought was hot But she could not stop her black and sinful ways. You know it was her own damn fault When God turned that bitch to salt. Thats the way he used to work back in those days:

He fucked em up (he fucked em up) He really fucked em up When the people went and turned their backs on him He can fuck you up (hell fuck you up) No shit hell fuck you up Just like he fucked the people up back then.

I used to have a friend named Ray Who walked that evil way He cursed and drank and broke his neighbors fence You know Ray was full aware That some sheep were over there And he knew them in the Biblical sense.

God fucked him up (he fucked him up) He went and fucked Ray up Went and paid him back for all his wicked sins. He fucked him up (he fucked him up) Fucked that boy completely up Now hes married to a Presbyterian.

HT: Susan, for sending me this song on Facebook.

Series Navigation<< Songs of Sacrilege: Did Jesus Have a Baby Sister? by Dory PrevinSongs of Sacrilege: Jesus Loves Me (But He Can’t Stand You) by Austin Lounge Lizards >>

1. sgl

imho, quite funny and well done:
    ———-
    The Loophole by Garfunkel and Oates

A song about Christian girls who stay virgins until they’re married but have anal sex instead.

———-
    lyrics at:

———-

2. Byroniac

Hey Bruce, wow, I am far behind on your posts! Anyways, you might like “Dear God” by XTC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKFkywEjlLo It’s not a humorous song, more serious, but I think it’s really good.

3. Infidel753

Parasite God by Mortiis:

The Pope Song by Tim Minchin:

I assume you already know about Lady Gaga (it’s more about the visuals, especially toward the end, than the words):

4. Infidel753

Not sure why the last one posted as an embed rather than a link — not intentional…..

5. Ahab

“Christian Woman” by Type O Negative is a favorite blasphemous song of mine.

6. Green Eagle

7. uzza

Hand of the Almighty will always have top spot, but there’s also

Bastard Fairies–We’re all Going to Hell

8. Silver

Sin City by the Genitorturers is pretty darn sacri-licious! Here is a link to the lyrics: http://www.lyriczz.com/lyrics/genitorturers/81167-sin-city/

9. kittybrat

Another favorite! Oh, Bruce, I am so glad you’re compiling this!

10. Byron

Hi Bruce, few things:

1) Different John Butler. This guy is from Florida; the Aussie is in a jam band and is one of the better guitarists around. Highly recommend this one (although it’s not sacrilegious unless you think he may have made a Robert Johnson-esque deal with the devil): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsnFvEQYJPU

2) Really glad you already have “Heresy” by NIN. One of my favorite sacrilegious songs and just a kick-ass tune.

3) Borderline as a Song of Sacrilege, but the song “Operation Spirit (The Tyranny of Tradition)” by Live might qualify. Since the band’s later songs toed the border between spiritual and religious (see the song “Heaven” from the album Birds of Pray), it’s interesting to hear this early track’s lyrics:
    “Heard a lot of talk about this Jesus
    A man of love, and a man of strength
    But what a man was two thousand years ago
    means nothing at all to me today

He could have been telling me about my
    higher self
    But he only lives inside my prayer
    So what he was may have been beautiful
    But the pain is right now
    And right here”