The Sounds of Fundamentalism: Charismatic Preacher Perry Stone Checks Phone While Speaking in Tongues

perry stone

The Sounds of Fundamentalism is a series that I would like readers to help me with. If you know of a video clip that shows the crazy, cantankerous, or contradictory side of Evangelical Christianity, please send me an email with the name or link to the video. Please do not leave suggestions in the comment section.  Let’s have some fun!

Today’s Sound of Fundamentalism is a video clip of Charismatic preacher Perry Stone checking his smartphone while speaking in tongues. I wonder if God was texting him?

Video Link

Series Navigation<< The Sounds of Fundamentalism: Evangelist Bob Harrington Preaching at the Sho-Bar Night Club

1. Melissa A Montana

Now that’s just weird. Maybe his heart isn’t in it anymore?

2. Carol Dworkowski

One of my favorite “religion and technology” cartoons:

1. Lawd Cheesy Crust

Glad you like it! 🙂

3. Chuck Geer

While I have read from this blogsite for quite a while, this is the first time I have written in response to a blog post. If I say something out of line, please let me know.

Anyhow, I know quite a bit about “Doctor” Perry Stone. He is a major reason why I ceased being Pentecostal back in 2003-04. At that time, he was promoting using communion as a means of obtaining divine healing. Basically, he was encouraging people to blackmail God into healing them because he hadn’t done so in the past. I saw many people become disillusioned about Christianity because of phenomena such as this.

Stone has promoted other quackery as well. I looked at what was going on as a consequence of the “Toronto Blessing” and I decided no more…

4. TW

“Hmmmm lets see if my translator can figure out just what the fuck this gibberish coming out of my mouth means”!

5. Ami

Holy shit that guy sounds like an auctioneer.
    Reminds me of some of the people who stood up during Sunday services and bellowed/shrieked/cried/shouted gibberish. Quite often they repeated strings of sounds just like this guy.

It’s shocking that anyone believes this shit.

6. Carolk

The comments on YouTube are hilarious! One person asked if they’d heard Yabba Daba Doo! I thought he might as well start singing Little Richard’s old song Tutti Frutti A-wop-bop-a-loo-bop-a-wop-bam-boom!

1. thatotherjean

I laughed out loud and startled the cat.

7. kittybrat

Good gravy! At first, I thought he may be having a seizure! He’s so arrogant it’s like he is impervious to what he is doing on fucking camera!
    And what was with the table -wiiping?

1. Matilda

Yes, I thought the service guy was going to spray him all over with his holy water! If god knows what we’re going to ask for in our prayers, why do x-tians need to be so repetitious, like his ‘anoint me, anoint me.’ When small children get that whiny and repetitive, don’t we just tell them to stop/shut up, we heard them the first time?

8. Carol Dworkowski

Studies have shown that the subjects are not in control of their speech when speaking in tongues. That doesn’t, however, prove that it is God who is in control–the jury is still out on the cause of the phenomenon:

Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
    Language Center of the Brain Is Not Under the Control of Subjects Who “Speak in Tongues”

The study only included five subjects. I’m inclined to think that, much like most religious experiences, speaking in tongues is a learned behavior — the product of tribal/environmental conditioning.

1. Katherine

Well……….I was raised AOG Pentecostal. I’m pretty sure I averaged 4 trips a week to church the first 18 years of life. I have never spoken in tongues.

My husband is a former ordained minister in the Nazarene Church. He disagrees with modern Pentecostal practices. I took him to visit the friends of my youth at my childhood church. There wasn’t really a lot of ‘activity’ going on (or I am impervious to it.) I look over and he is speaking in tongues and was slain in the spirit. Go figure!

I asked him about it. He is mystified. I do know he is not an ‘open to suggestion’ easily led kind of guy. (More Type A and somewhat cantankerous.) It was a positive experience for him. Further proof that I am ‘not chosen.’ ;-p

9. James

Maybe he was checking the likes he got on Tinder/Match.

10. ObstacleChick

I figured he was checking in on the baseball game and liked how his team was doing.

11. Chikirin

Honda Lashanda Bada La Soo!

A lot of the tongues I would hear in church would be very rhymey and alliterative, almost like they are encouraging the tongue and lips to go into a spastic loop.

12. Brian Vanderlip

Yabby dabby di loki boke don doo doo babble! The man’s smokin’ good shit and ran out so he’s checking the divine broker to get some more. Yabby dabby doo dilly wally goo goo!

13. Skylar